Sports Day

The weekend went by too fast. I spent Saturday morning studying and helping my grandma with some chores. The rest of day I was in the shop, Saturdays aren't that busy, but she gets a steady stream of customers, no rush though. Sunday... I spent most of the day baking cookies. I usually make one batch of cookies and I divide that between Yuki and I, but I decided to make 3 batches. I wanted to thank him for helping me out that one night with those girls.

Yuki messaged me that Monday morning, telling me that he won't be coming to school today. He didn't specify why, I got worried. I couldn't focus on school today. Atsuki-san was even surprised when I didn't react or show emotion when she was bothering me.

"What's wrong, Fujioka-san? A little lonely without Yuki-kun?" she teased.

"Not today, Atsuki-san" I told her.

The day went by too slow. The moment the bell rang, I basically ran out of the classroom. I went to the shop and let my grandma know that I'm visiting Yuki. Just as I was leaving the shop, that's when I remembered that I don't know where he lives. Shit. I went back inside and ask her about his address. She wrote it down on a piece of paper  and also handed me a paper bag.

"Tell him to get better soon"

I nodded in reply.

It took me a while to find his place. I had to go back home and start from there since I have no idea how to get to his place from the shop. Their house is a lot bigger than grandma's and looks homey. I rang the doorbell and Mayu opened it.

"Mio-san, how are you?" she asked.

"I'm doing great, you?"

"I'm good, I'm guessing you're here to see Yuki-nii?"

I nodded, "I also brought some miso soup from the shop and some cookies"

"You're too kind, come on in, mama is in the kitchen right now" she said. She escorted me to the kitchen where their mother was. She was cooking something and it smelled so good.

"Mama, this is Mio-san. She's Suzaki-obaa's granddaughter" Mayu introduced me.

Their mother turned around and she was beautiful. Her smile was very welcoming and warm. "Welcome! I've heard so much about you from Yuki-kun.. and oh my! You're just as pretty as your mother" she said.

"You knew my mom?" I asked.

"Of course, we're great friends, I'm very sorry about your loss. Your parents were very kind people" she said.

I just nodded in reply.

"Oh.. I almost forgot, obaasan prepared this for Yuki, there's some cookies in there as well" I said, handing her the paper bag.

"Ohh, her miso soup. I'll go ahead and heat it up so you can bring it to him.. it's time for him to have something to eat anyway, I'll put some cookies on a plate put the rest away"

I waited for the miso soup to heat while Ishikawa-san talked about her school days with my mom, reminiscing their good old days. "She was at the top of the class, your father trailing behind her all the time," she said.

"I wish I kept in contact with her... but Mio-chan, if you need anything, let me know. Ok?" she added.

I just nodded in reply. Once the soup was heated, she transferred it to a bowl and on to a tray. Mayu guided me to where his room was. It was up the stairs, down the hallway and the last door on the right.

"He's probably sleeping, so you can just go ahead and enter" she said.

"How long has he been sick?" I asked.