Time Apart

Masa's POV...

It took weeks before I was able to visit her. I did get weekly updates from the hospital on how she was doing. On her second week there, she developed pneumonia due to some infection, but they were taking care of her as best as they could. It was about a month later when they started weaning her off the ventilator, her breathing and oxygen intake was getting better and they stopped giving her sedative...

It was month and a half after she admitted when I got the call that I can visit her now. The moment I heard that, I immediately left my apartment and headed to the hospital. Protocols still in place and I was given about 10 minutes to visit her, it's not enough, but it's something.

I was not prepared seeing her on the hospital bed, pale as the white sheet that covered her. She's still connected to a lot of wires and tubes, but at least she's breathing on her own now.

"Hey, Mio... it's Masa" I started, I'm not entirely sure if she could hear me, but it's worth a try.

"I.. I miss you, so please get better soon. Nishida said he'll come visit as soon as possible. I also got your aunt's number and made sure that she's updated with your progress"

No response.

"They only gave me an hour for each visit. I'll visit you as much as I can, so you won't be alone.. Also, about what happened... I forgive you, but we really do need to talk about it once you're fully recovered..."

I sighed. If she still has feelings for him, then what's the point of keeping her tied to me? Unless she has feelings for me too. Yuki let her go, she knows that, but the question is.. did she let him go? What if he comes back?

I came back everyday for the past week and by the second week, she was up. It was a surprise seeing her awake and smiling, even in her condition.

"Hi.." she muttered, voice weak and raspy.

"Hey, you're finally up. How are you feeling?" I asked, putting the flowers in the vase.

"Tired... how long was I asleep for?"

"Well, you've been here for almost two months now"

"Two months? Shit. My aunt... I have to call her, she's probably worried sick about me..." she panicked, looking for her phone.

"Hey, hey... calm down, she knows. I made sure that she's updated. I'll bring your phone tomorrow so you can call her, sounds good?"

"Thank you.."

"I can't stay long today, I have to meet with a couple of people regarding volleyball"

"That's fine, somebody else apparently visits me from time to time" she said.

That's news. I didn't know she has other visitors. I wonder who.

"Masa.. about what happened between Yuki and I... I don't any excuse regarding that and I take full responsibility for it"

I didn't expect her to mention that today, much less take full responsibility for it.

"You can't take full responsibility for it when it takes two to tango... but we'll talk about it once you get out"

"But Masa... I... I... I'm really sorry. You didn't deserve that... you've been so good to me and there I go messing things up..." her voice was weak and quivering, eyes teary.

"Hey... don't worry about it. It's in the past now. We'll talk more about it once you're out of here" I told her, kissing her forehead even with my mask on.

"But.."

"No buts, you need to get better and you're stressing over it" 

"Because I hurt you... I know how it feels, I've been there before and it's not a good feeling. It's also not easy to forgive that person... so, I understand if you don't forgive me, I'll work hard in order for you to trust me again"