Against All Odds

Yuki's POV...

Mio hasn't been herself this past few days. I know that the incident took a toll on her and it was obvious. We reported the crime and the police will look into it. It's hard leaving her during the day for practice but she insists that she'll be fine. She'll work during the day and would cook dinner after, but by the time I get home she'll be in her room sleeping on the floor at corner by the window covered in blankets. I have also noticed how she's been wearing a lot of hoodies, long sleeves, and sweatpants around the apartment. She's hiding herself...

It hurts to see her like this, knowing that I could've prevented it. I should have been there to shield her from those bastards, but I wasn't... and look at what happened. She'd tell me that she's alright, that she'll get over it, but it's difficult to see her struggle like this. She insisted sleeping on her room the next night, but by morning I would find her at the same corner covered in blankets. I've heard her cry in the bathroom and I've heard her scream from nightmares and I feel useless... the only thing I could do is be there for her and I'm not sure that it's enough.

Two days before leaving for VNL, I asked her to stay in my apartment. She hesitated, thinking that she's overstayed already. I honestly would love to just have her move in with me, just so I can watch her, protect her, be close to her.

"Can you stay here until I get back?" I asked as I got ready for today's practice.

"Until June?"

"Mhmmm"

"But..."

"I just... I'll worry less, I guess.. it's up to you, but I really would like for you to stay until I get back... forever if possible" I whispered the last part.

"I'll think about it"

"Alright, I'll see you later. Oh, I almost forgot... Don't cook dinner tonight, I made a reservation somewhere"

"Oh, okay... Where? Just so I'll know what to wear"

"Remember that black dress you wore back in Italy?"

"Yeah... something like that? Wait... is this a date?"

"Aha, look at the time... I'm late. See you tonight"

I don't know why I ran out, but when she asked if it was a date... I panicked. I'm a grown man, I should not be panicking like that.

Nishida knew something was up during practice. He was giving me these stares like he's up to something. I mean, when is he not up to something?

"Ishikawa-san has some bounce on his steps... I wonder..." I heard him say as I passed him by.

"You think he got laid?" Onodera asked.

"Who got laid?" Ran asked.

I felt eyes on me and I looked around to see those three staring. They quickly looked away when I caught them staring. Sometimes they act like high school girls gossiping about something.

As we were stretching after practice, Nishida crawled to where I was, elbowing my side, his eyebrows raised while grinning.

"What's new, captain?" he asked, grin still on his face.

The other guys scooted closer, waiting to hear what I'm about to say.

"What's new is that..." I stretched while they were all waiting for me to continue.

"Is that...?" Nishida asked.

"You need to butt out of my business"

"Oh come on!" I heard him say.