Chapter Twenty

I woke up this morning it's the same routine. Darren walks into my cell undoes the chain we walk out of my cell and to the bathroom. The same thing that's been happening for a week. I know it's a week because in the kitchen the girls have to keep track of the days, weeks, months, and years for meals and stuff.

Thankfully, being here hasn't been all that bad. I've become great friends with Esme who was known as Green eyes, Millie who was known as Blue eyes, Karsyn who was known as Redhead, Lea the older woman, and the only one who I'm not close to is Hanna who was known as Blondie.

"Ready for another amazing fantastic day of work?" Esme asks annoyed when she stops by my cubby fully dressed. I chuckle at her comment. Over the week I've learned that Esme is very sarcastic. "Oh, it isn't that bad" Millie shouts over the loud noise in the bathroom from her cubby.

Esme shakes her head and walks away. Millie is the type of person everyone needs. She looks for the bright side in every situation. If any of us are down she'll find a way to cheer us up. Karsyn walks up to me and wraps her arm around my shoulder. "Ready for hell?" She asks. I nod my head and walk out of the bathroom with her.

Karsyn is a cold-hearted badass. She'll tell you what's up without feeling a single thing. She will not lie or sugar coat anything and it's made me face the cold hard truth sometimes the past week but it's been a huge eye-opener.

We walk past Darren and head for the kitchen. He still follows me to and from the kitchen but I no longer have to walk with that stupid chain. I'm also starting to memorize the maze to the kitchen and thankfully I'm not getting very dizzy while walking up and down the spiral staircase.

I do have to admit that this week hasn't been nearly as terrible as I thought it would and to be honest, I haven't thought of Sawyer as much. "After dinner, I'll come to grab you because King Dante wants to speak to you," Darren tells me before I walk into the kitchen. "Ooo I wonder what the Vampire King wants with you," Karsyn says as she winks at me.

I roll my eyes and walk over to the aprons. "What's going on?" Esme asks walking into the kitchen right after us with Millie, Lea, and Hanna. "Oh, nothing just that the Vampire King himself requested to see Miss. Amber here to see him in his office after dinner" Karsyn says while turning the ovens on.

"I thought she's mates with the Werewolf King," Millie says confused. Oh Millie she's the slow one in the group. "She is Hunny. The Vampire King took Amber to make the Werewolf King go crazy sweetheart" Karsyn tells Millie. "Ooh," Millie says and goes back to chopping up fruit. I shake my head with a smile on my face. Millie is the type of girl you want to protect with everything in you.

"Slut" Hanna coughs under her breath as she washes her hands. I ignore her. Hanna likes to sneak rude remarks into conversations. Today the girls are making omelets with a fruit salad. Lea is the one who doesn't talk much.

It broke my heart when I learned about Lea. She's in her late 70s and the last one of her friend group that's still alive. When she was bought she and 4 other girls her age were signed kitchen duty. 5 years ago is when they started dying from old age or natural causes. Normally the ones who work in the kitchen get the least amount of punishments unless you are very late for a meal or didn't pay attention to the recipe.

Two weeks before I arrived the last original girl from the kitchen passed away and that's who I replaced. Lea has barely talked since. "Amber your good to clean here. Don't put anything away I'm still working at the station" Esme tells me.

I walk over to her station and grab the bowl filled with empty eggshells. I walk over to the trash and dump them out. I then clean the counter from the egg slime. Once I'm done I go over to Hanna's station that she's now done with and clean the fruit mess.