An Explorer's Job

Recap:

“I’m an explorer,” Fai said quietly, as I frowned thinking if I knew anything about them. “Explorers are people who try to find an exit out of the caves. Not many try to do it as it’s quite dangerous as there are animals who’ve been affected by magic out there who want to attack us. And along with the fact that most of the caves and tunnels are too small for dragons to come through we have to go alone. You’ve got to be a quick thinker and even quicker on your feet and have a good memory, as well as stamina.”

I nodded thoughtfully, “is it the hardest job there is?”

Ala nodded, “yep it is, those that do it often break.”

“Break?” I questioned confused.

“Yeah, they start to lose hope that there’s a way out and they stop trying to live and sometimes kill themselves or die due to not wanting to live. That’s why those who become explorers have to stop before they lose hope and have a good and strong mental state.” Allie said.

I looked out into the caves, “do you reckon I could try it one time?”’

“Possibly, I could take you out for a trial run with me tomorrow as a matter of fact.” Fai said, I grinned at her.

“Really?”

“Yep, just meet me at the breakfast place you remember where it is right?” Fai said with a small smile.

I grinned back at her as I thought back to the route, “not really, however I got a helping hand this morning, so I’m quite sure I’ll get another one.”

“If you’re sure,” Fai said hesitantly, “anyway I’ve got to hurry off. I’ve got a chore to get to, although I don’t know why they had it during the night time.” Fai sighed before hurrying off.

“I’ve got guard duty ‘til late, so I’ll have to catch you two later!” Ala said rushing off, I turned to look at Allie.

“I remember when I first came here, I was exhausted quite quickly at the start, and I’m quite sure you’re as well.” Allie said, as I yawned the adrenaline fading from my blood. “I’ll show you to your room because we’ve moved a fair bit away and this place is a bit difficult to navigate at the start even with help.”

I smiled at Allie as I yawned again, “that’d be great,” I said following her out of her room.

End Recap

Thea’s POV

When I reached where I was going to meet Fai, I wasn’t that surprised to see that she was already there and waiting. With a sheepish grin I caught the apple Fai threw at me and ate it as she explained what she had planned for today.

“So first off I want to go take a look at the new dragons, see if there are any that catch my eye. Then I’m thinking we can head of into the caves where I’ll start explaining everything that can and can’t happen and dangers. I’ll also take you along the main paths and show you ways to figure out where you’ve been. Cool?”

I nodded, unused to Fai speaking so much. Fai took off at a quick walk, with me following closely behind. After many turns and twists we finally reached a large cave where four dragons were being held by chains. I frowned as I looked at the four dragons, two of them were brighter whereas the other two were darker and seemed to blend into its surroundings. Despite this I was drawn to a grey one, the dragon had two curved bull-like horns at the top of its head and seemed to be quite bulky, not at all like Storm who was much slimmer and mainly about agility not strength.