Is There A Betrayer In Our Midst?

Storm's POV

Recap:

Thea smiled, and I radiated in happiness beside her. "There's a lot to do though," John said. "But you've done your part. You'll have two days of rest while helping us a bit, before Vax will show you to the main camp after dropping the soldiers you came with off at the other camp."

Thea let out a soft laugh as the anxiety left her body, her emotions had piled up from before the battle, and she turned to face me, suddenly feeling how unrealistic everything had been. I nodded at my rider, a battle won but the war remains undecided. For now enjoy the little time we have, for bigger battles await us. I told her.

End Recap

It had been two days since John had told us the dragon riders and us, the dragons, that we would be able to have some rest. While we, the dragons, had been resting, the riders had been hard at work helping. Thea had ended up falling straight to sleep and we hadn't had a good conversation since the flight to this camp.

I stretched with a yawn, the sun was slowly setting, and the night sky was covered in a mist of clouds. I rolled my shoulders. We may have a traitor in our midst. Thea said as she mounted.

How do you know of this? I questioned.

It's what Vax was speaking to me about late last night. You remember the attack on us while we made our way here?

Yes.

Vax thinks someone told them where we were, otherwise they shouldn't have found us. Thea told me.

It does make sense, but I loathe to believe that anyone would dare betray us. I murmured in reply.

I don't think it's anyone we know well, Thea said.

Don't think that yet, anyone could've faked it all and still be faking it. It's best if you pretend that you don't think that, just in case. I advised Thea.

That's the same advice that I got from Vax, despite my thoughts I shall listen to you both. Thea said, now come. We fly.

Someone mounted behind Thea and I felt them both shift into a comfortable position. Hold on, I whispered to Thea as I unfurled my wings. I let out a wild bugle as I ran forward before leaping into the sky. With powerful wingbeats I rose into the sky, below me I could see Vax riding his horse.

For the next few hours, we flew above the clouds in silence, nothing but wingbeats of other dragons and the occasional cough or sneeze from a rider could be heard. I closed my eyes and soared when I picked up something. I let out a small hiss and quickly gained height, the dragons behind me following my lead. Igraine, head forward and see if you can see any other dragons ahead. Make sure to hide in the clouds, I told my friend. Igraine raced past me, I knew her scales would stand out less than mine would and her lithe, small build would hardly block any of the light. She was also a quiet flyer, which came in handy in times like these.

What is it? Thea asked.

I don't know... Something just feels wrong, and the air feels tainted. I said. My eyes narrowing as I searched for Igraine's shape below the clouds. Get ready for anything. I called out to the other dragons, who instantly told their riders.

I felt Thea shift in preparation for battle. Igraine suddenly burst out of the clouds in front of me, Dragon Riders! She called out with a loud roar, and I immediately dived down. Trying to avoid Igraine just as her message was repeated in my mind.