To Accept Defeat or Face the Impossibility

Storm's POV

Recap:

As all of us continued struggling, I, along with Thea, was losing hope that there was any chance of winning. The others were feeling the same way and our combined power was doing nothing except slowing Tristan's attack down a tiny bit. It's hopeless, Thea and I thought together.

End Recap

I gazed around at the rest of my friends. Luc had quite a few dented scales and his wings were drooped but he didn't look too bad, Spiritus was standing tall with anger on her face clearly ignoring the blood covering one arm. Sly was standing next to Zenith and both looked unharmed, but they were clearly tired. Rolland had a large cut down his side but it didn't seem too deep, whereas Ademar was covered in bruises and small cuts, but didn't seem that badly injured. Thea had a cut on her thigh, which I doubted she'd noticed and had a few other minor cuts and was clearly sore and tired. I could feel the blood dripped from my belly from an earlier attack, my right shoulder – which was the shoulder that had been injured from the attack before the battle at Amu – was injured again and it was quite painful, despite the fact it was a bad injury. My wings were aching from all of my dives and numerous flying manoeuvres, and I was weary.

The others had lost hope, and I found myself imaging Igraine standing next to me complaining how easily I was giving up. We are dragons, I could almost hear her saying, and we do not bow down to anyone! So why do you bow down now Storm? You are a leader! You can't give up because it seems impossible! When have you ever done so before?

I barely noticed the others gazing at me as I thought what Camroth would say if he saw me now. Oh, so did I die for nothing now? I know you're young hatchling and you've grown up in such a small amount of time, but do you really want to give up your freedom? You got us free once and now you're about to give it up? If you do so, it'll be a disgrace to know you! The Storm I know wouldn't do that!

I could picture Emy standing in front of me, her scales glimmering in the light. You are our leader Storm, push forward and know my strength is yours.

The next dragon I was seeing was Lex, injured but alive in my mind. Do I need to come down and beat you up? Are you going to let my rider die because you were afraid of one person?

I've gone through a lot youngling, Fire Storm would say, we aren't letting you die so easily.

My mind slowly starting fighting back and I let out a loud roar, roaring my pain and might to the heavens, to the dead dragons and their riders, roaring that I would not stand by. I let out a growl and leapt away, the magic that once bound me to the wall no longer held me captive. I looked around, I could see the others were no longer pinned to the wall, but they stayed where they were. Thea walked up to me and stood by my side, gazing around at awe. The dragons I thought I was imagining were standing next to me, they were see-through and pale, but they were there with their riders.

You told me your fought fear in your mind! If you faced that, you can face Tristan. Charlie said with a sad smile.

Naloth and Opul, a dragon-rider pair who were part of the Ground Strikers smiled at me. You've shared stories with us Storm, we want to see you go on and make your own. The dragon said softly.

Lither, a three-year-old earth dragon, growled at me, I didn't die for you to give up. My rider's out there and she deserves a future.

They all deserve a future, Durath said, his rider nodding in agreement.