The Hunter or the Hunted?

Thea's POV

Recap:

What shall the groups be then? I asked, happy with the plan so far.

I'll go with Erin, Sly immediately said.

I rolled my eyes, what a huge surprise, I said sarcastically. I had learnt that Erin and Sly were quite close, brothers in all but blood.

I'll go with Erin and Sly, knowing those two they'll get into trouble if I'm not there to stop them. Rimn said with a sigh.

Hey! Erin said.

I'm with you two then, Rufus said with a fierce grin.

If you get separated, let Storm or Lex know and they'll take you to the nearest person. I said to the others. They all nodded.

That's ten minutes up. You are now free to do whatever you must to win the game. Remember no harm that can't be healed with a small spell can be done. Anything more than a small cut will make your team disqualified and then we'll figure out a punishment for going against our rules. Vivian said, her mental voice flowing through my head like water over stones.

With that, we separated.

End Recap

Rufus led Toby, and I down a branch. We'll stick clear of the river, as the trees will be less dense there. We can try and stay in the trees to avoid anyone seeing us on the ground. Rufus said as he leapt onto another branch.

Isn't this a bit risky? Toby asked as he easily leapt over the gap between branches.

What's life without risks? Rufus replied. I rolled my eyes at the two before crossing the gap myself.

We need to spread out. I can go two trees out to our left. Rufus can go three trees forward, Toby do you want to go two trees to our right? I asked, thinking that a triangle position would be extremely helpful in this situation.

Sure thing, Toby replied, moving right and onto another branch. I followed his lead, crossing the small gap between one branch and onto another. The gap was slightly bigger than the previous one, which I had struggled to cross. "Ventus impulerit memet deducatis," I whispered to myself as I started running. As I leapt the gap, a small wind pushed on my back, giving me the momentum needed to cross.

When I was in position, I told Toby and Rufus and we moved forward. Every so often Rufus would change direction, as if he was being told where to go. After a while, I figured his dragon was telling him where people are. Erin got pushed away from the other two. Lex went to pick him up. Storm told everyone.

I paused for a second and listened around me, I could hear rustling from below. Halt guys. I can hear something. I carefully laid down on the branch and peered down below me. I could see a few dragons below. In the shade, I could easily make out a red dragon and shadowed figures nearby. I can see a red dragon below shall I aim and shoot? I asked.

Go for it. Don't miss. Rufus advised ever so helpfully.

I rolled my eyes and aimed at the red dragon before whispering the words to myself. "Album pingere surculus." White paint flew through the air and hit the red dragon in the side. The dragon let out a roar of surprise before it turned its gaze up. I stayed still, trusting that I was hidden.

After a few minutes the dragon looked away, I breathed a sigh of relief and got up. Move very slowly, stick in the shadows, and go towards Toby. Rufus said, his mental voice sounding like a whisper. I followed his advice and slowly made my way away from the dragon who I'd hit.