The Journey (Part 2: Final)

Recap:

I wish these shadows were gone already, Storm told Thea.

You're like a giant cat! Thea said, Stom's mind flickered back to when he had fought the giant cat monster with Rolland and Igraine.

Storm shook his head, I am not a cat, he said just as a creature – the one Storm had seen with Zenith, in fact – ran past him.

End Recap

Thea's POV

I twisted on Storm's back to follow the path of the raccoon-like creature, the creature bounded towards Zenith before stopping at his feet. The lithe dragon bent his head to the ground and the raccoon easily ran up the dragon's head and down the neck to where Zenith's rider – Sly, Storm's memories told me – sat. Sly closed his eyes and seemed to mumble words under his breath before opening his eyes and locking gazes with the boy on the dragon next to him and nodding.

The boy – Erin – looked around before his dragon roared softly but loud enough that everyone could hear it. The dark purple dragon connected their mind to everyone else's. We have found a way out, Zenith can lead us out of the forest. The green-blue dragon slipped between dragons and reached Storm and I.

Storm nodded his head at the dragon and stepped back, Zenith seemed unsure as he moved forward. Run, bring us to our freedom, the purple dragon's voice said. That was all Zenith needed and he fled forward, Storm lurched after us however the swifter dragons were quickly in front and Storm was soon running beside Midnightfear.

For about half an hour we continued alongside the rushing river, at times the dragons were forced to slow down to how thick the trees are and some of the smaller dragons were able to fly slowly above the rushing river while the others bounded beside the water. In front of Storm, I could see that the dragons in front had stopped to get a drink. Storm leant down and got a quick drink himself before he moved forward once more, following the dragons with his back to the river.

For another hour and a half we continued going through the forest. It was hard going and I had to be aware of hanging branches at all times. Many times Storm stumbled before righting himself and continuing on with only a grunt. A few dragons dropped back and even the swift, thin dragons had trouble getting through parts. Storm's head was hanging low as he watched the ground knowing I would watch branches for him.

Storm's head jerked upwards suddenly, hearing something beyond human hearing. All around me I could see dragons doing the same. Storm roared softly and sped up, in fact it seemed like all the dragons had increased in speed. Storm lowered his head and rammed into a low hanging branch that others had avoided. The branch creaked and broke under Storm's momentum and we powered through, slipping around trees and charging through bushes and leaping over ditches and large roots.

I could now make out a row of dragons in front of us through the thick trees, I narrowed my eyes and tried to figure out why they had stopped. Storm snorted and the dragons quickly moved out of his way and we arrived at the front of the dragon group.

Ahead of us awaited a large area of grassland with a river doubling on itself and weaving away. Excitement of getting out of the forest flooded me before I figured out the problem. It was far too open, the dragons would stand out easily. I frowned, there would be some dragons who would make it through without being sighted however we all needed to get to the town.

Why can't we go out? Storm questioned me as I told him we needed to remain in the forest until we could find out a way to go out into the grassland.