Chapter 21: Signatures and Suspicions

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Leo couldn't have done this...
TD...The Doberman... I remember last time we went on a mission together, he carved something on the target. No, he couldn't have done this to Papa.

"Leo couldn't have done this!" I cried.

"He didn't do it. I trust my son." Dario replied sternly, still in shock.

"How could his signature be on Xander's hand? No one else apart from our family knows about it." he added.

"If no one else knows then how is this even possible?! Call up Leo, now." 

Dario did as I said. He held the phone near his ear for a few moments and but then hung up.

"He's not picking up. You try." he sighed.

I nodded and dialled him up.

"No answer."

"Lea, keep this between us. Don't tell our families or anyone else as that would cause more damage."

I nodded and after staying there for a few more minutes, we went back to my place. Mom would be leaving for the hospital as soon as we arrive so we can do our separate search without any hindrance.

"Where did you two discuss this deal?" I asked him.

"In Xander's office, why?"

"There must've been another bug there. We have to look for it."

We went to papa's office and quietly looked for the bug. Not here... not here either...eh not- wait- I found it.

I signalled Dario to come near the wooden shelf and showed him the bug behind one of the glass globes.

I pulled it out and crushed it under my feet and then threw it out the window.

"How did we miss this?" he asked in worry.

"I have no idea but whoever planted this heard everything you guys talked about."

"Do you know who was the last person to come into Papa's office apart from the two of you?" I asked.

"Let's check for other bugs and then check the footage." he suggested.

"Alright." 

We headed out of the room.

Vienna's pov:

I walk into Xander's room where he lays in silence. Motionless and pale. I know, "Mafia families are not supposed to shed a tear during a crisis" but we're still human. We kill, we prey but we also love, we care.

"Babe please wake up." I sniffled.

Years ago, before Lea was born, Xander was shot and was in this very state. It broke my heart then and it still does.

However, Lea has never seen him like this. I don't want her to go through the same pain which I went through. The fear of loss is the worst fear of them all.

"Years ago, I begged you to wake up for me. Today I'm begging you to wake up for Lea. Our precious little daughter."

"I want you to witness Lea and Leo together. Remember us while looking at them walk down the aisle. I want you to see Lea become a Mafia boss after you retire. I want you to see Lea become a wonderful wife."

"And also, I need you with me till I take my last breath. I need you to hold my hand and tell me how much you love me. I need you."

*beep* *beep* *beep* *beep* *beep*

The monitor went crazy.

"DOCTOR! DOCTOR!" I cried out.

"Ma'am please move outside. We need to look at this." A nurse instructed me.

"Is he okay?!"

"We can only tell you that after we examine him. Please leave the room."

I did as told.

Leo's pov:

I heard them talk about how they shot Xander and how Lea was devasted and apparently they framed me for it. I completely forgot Scarlett knew my signature.

I heard the door creak open and a pair of heels clack into the room. Scarlett.

"What do you want?" I asked.

She shut the door behind her.

"I believe you've heard about our little mischief."

"Mischief? Lea could lose her father!"

"And I should care because?" She said as she walked towards me till there was very little distance left.

"Because..." I said as I grabbed her knife from her jean pocket and spun her around, placing the blade on her neck.

"Don't you dare scream." I warned as I held her with great force.

"What- how?"

"You thought you were so clever? Threatening me, toying with my Lea's life."

"I did it all to get to you!"

"After so long, you suddenly want to get to me?"

"When I heard you were getting married, I lost it."

"You lost it a long time ago but anyway, you really thought they would let you live after you helped them? You are worthless to them. Just a pawn."

"They promised."

"They're mafia men. Promises to strangers mean nothing."

"How- how did you free yourself?"

"You should know better than to trap Leonardo Ricci." I scoffed as I sliced her throat.

I took her gun and walked out of the room with the key in her pocket.

I blindly shot everyone who came in my way. Ugh, where are the two idiots?

I looked everywhere but couldn't find Gladius and Nate.

"Look behind you Leo."

Oh shit.

Azalea's pov:

"Can you see anything in the footage?" I asked. "There is nothing in these clips that I checked."

"Hmm... there, I think I see someone entering the room." He stuck his neck out closer to the screen. "Wait- that's..." his eyes widened.

No no no. My heart ached once again. This cannot be true. Please tell me this is a nightmare. Please someone wake me up. The person on the screen is...

"Leo." I gasped.

!!FLASHBACK!!

(Leo was the last person to go into Xander's office)

"I think I left my file in Xander's office." Leo facepalmed. "I'll go get it."

He walked into the room and picked up his file from the desk.

"Leo, c'mon let's go!" Dario called.

"Coming, dad!" He replied as he walked out of the room with his file.

To be continued...

I hope y'all liked this chapter! Everything is such a mess oh my god! What do you think will happen next? Keep reading to find out ;) ILYSMM xx