Chapter 26: Grudges and goodbyes.

Leo's pov:

I felt a shooting pain in my chest. I tried very hard to keep my tears inside. I was angry.

"Wow. I cannot believe this." I scoffed. "Azalea Caruso never gives up. Azalea Caruso is strong-willed. I guess those were all lies huh?"

"Excuse me?"

"I lied to you, I agree but I told you and I proved to you that everything was real for me. You told me you'll be by my side but one problem arises and you are already leaving?"

"I- I-" She stuttered.

"You never needed me by your side which is why I am now so easy to just push away."

"It's not like that Leo!"

"It's exactly like that Lea. I made a mistake and I wanted to make up for it but now that I know how much I actually mean to you, it's better if I just leave."

Azalea's pov:

His words crushed me. I was always too scared to love. Too scared to trust. I never thought I would fall for someone so fast...and that's exactly why I have to push him away.

"As you wish Leo."

I could see the sadness in his eyes. Utter pain but he hid it.

"We'll help our parents win the bet first and then we go our separate ways." I said, sniffling back my tears.

"As you wish Lea."

Each time he called me Lea, it stabbed my heart. He looked at me for a while, hoping for something but I was silent.

He finally turned his back on me and left. Tears rolled down my cheeks with each step he took towards the door.

He left.

I ran to my family sitting on the dining table, stunned by Leo's angry departure.

"What happened Lea?" Papa asked.

"He left." I said with numbness in my voice.

"Yeah, we saw that." Mom stated.

"No Ma...he left for good."

"He what?!"

"He is gone now Ma. Don't worry papa, we'll help you win the bet though."

"Tell me everything. Now!" Mom commanded.

I narrated the entire situation to them while trying not to have a fucking breakdown.

"Giglio, I'm sorry." Papa hugged me. "I am so so sorry. It's all my fault."

I stayed silent. I was feeling nothing at that moment. Everything was just numb.

Leo's pov:

Tears filled my eyes with each step I took towards the door. I didn't let myself cry. Crying is the first step to weakness. There is no place for weakness in the mafia.

I slammed the big door behind me and got into my car. I waited for a few minutes but then drove off.

She let me leave.

I walked into my penthouse to see Matteo and Javier sitting on the couch waiting for me with hopeful eyes.

I stormed towards my room and they followed me.

"Leo! Leo, what's wrong?" Matteo asked, worried by my furious reaction.

"Leo! stop walking so fucking fast!" Javier groaned.