47

Barbatos heard something.

It was faint, but his ears could pick up on it. His head pivoted over to look at a door. A door that led to the portrait room in RAD.

It was somewhat like the one they had back at the castle.

Barbatos blinked owlishly, contemplating on whether he should move. He tried focusing more.

A few muffled words were heard. The voice was wavering. And it was unfortunately familiar.

His feet moved on its own. He masked the sound of his heels clicking by trudging slowly.

You wouldn't like it if you knew he was coming, wouldn't you?

You'd probably just leave abruptly.

But was that the sound of soft sniffling?

He laid a hand in the door. Much to his surprise, the door opened under his light touch.

So it was hanging agape all this time?

Barbatos carefully opened the door, making sure not to let a squeak be heard. He poked his head inside.

There, you stood. It was quite the distance from the entrance. You sat with your knees by your chest as you hugged it.

Your face was buried between your arms. It was indistinct, but Barbatos could still hear you.

You were sobbing.

His heart clenched. Swallowing deeply, his grip on the door had intensified. Pressing his lips together, he made a decision.

His steps were silent, not wanting to alert you. If you knew he was approaching, you must have just ignored it. You didn't move from your position.

Carefully, Barbatos sat next to you. You lifted your head up before loosening your grip on your knees. You leaned away from them and onto the wall. You said nothing as you used your palm to wipe your tears. Barbatos could do nothing but frown at the state you were in.

You chuckled dryly. "I know. Pathetic, right? I'm crying about a friend whose death I wasn't even made aware of until a few decades after."

Barbatos lifted his head up and gazed at the portrait that laid above you. Even with your hair blocking the nameplate, he was already aware of who it was.

"...A remarkable sorcerer indeed."