Chapter 23: The Nut Cracker Operation

Work has been crazy so I apologize for the lack of update. Ok, let's get into the chapter, shall we?

Edited

The next day at CCG HQ. M/N's Pov

That night I walked home with a tired Kaneki. The others had followed. When we arrived I placed Kaneki on his bed and talked to the others before going to bed. Now I am flying to HQ to report what happened. I arrive and walk to the director's desk where Mado is waiting.

     "Please begin," said the director.

     "Sir, as you know, the Quinx squad is after the Torso ghoul. Squad leader Urie told us to split up to cover more ground. When looking at suspects, I hear investigators Shirazu and Urie fighting. I rushed over to save them. The next day, I had a visit with my brother. The day after, I got a call telling Haise I had lost control, and the team had an encounter with the Serpent ghoul. You know the rest, sir,"

We talk more until I am allowed to go. Getting back home, I hear Kaneki yelling at Urie.

     "When a dangerous ghoul like that is before you, you need to run," Kaneki yelled.

     "We are here to kill ghouls. Why would we run." Urie asked with an annoyed look.

     "You are supposed to look after your squad. I can not risk this happening again. You are hereby stripped of your position as squad leader. H/N will take your place. He had the strength and power to look after everyone."

I smile, nodding at Kaneki. Everyone except Urie agrees and heads to the door. Right as I go to leave, we hear Urie say something.

     "You two are nothing but ghouls to me."

That is when I snap. I pin him to the wall with my rinkaku and walk toward him, getting in his face. "We are just ghouls, huh? Then I guess we should just eat you. I may be a hero in training, but I would make an exception for you. You are nothing but a little boy trying to avenge his father's death."

     "How did you -" he asked me.

     "I was first to join this squad, and you thought I didn't look into my future teammate's backgrounds?" Before becoming a quinx, your success rate was the lowest the CCG had ever seen. To us ghouls, you are nothing but a cheap imitation." 

     "Enough H/N. Leave him alone. You are a hero in training, so stop belittling him. There is nothing he can do, and you need to lead by example."

I groan and let him go. 

     "For those who do not know our case is getting taken over by division three. It is suspected Torso is involved with Aogiri Tree. We will talk more tomorrow."

Kaneki walks off. I head to the backyard and train. I set up some plates and tossed them into the air. I then take turns hitting them with my kagunes. Later, Kaneki walks out, and we train. He tries to hit me using his kagune and quinque. He has gotten better n combat over the past year. Worn out, we call a truce and head back inside.

     "Hey H/N, can you make some of your famous coffee?"

I look at him and smile. "Comming right up, sir!" I get the coffee beans and begin. When I am done, I give a cup to Ken.

     "Man, I love your coffee! Where did you learn to make such amazing coffee?"

     "I used to work at a coffee shop part-time while going to school. The manager taught me that for the best coffee, you need fresh ground beans. They had the best coffee. When they closed, I was allowed to take some beans with me." He then suggests the team go out to find a coffee shop and talk about another case we have coming up.