Chapter 2

Ian's team was sent to Willows, Georgia covertly because a specific human woman was having far too much success solving cases via her psychic ability. This had caught the attention of a very desperate sorceress.

Deisha had been searching for her niece for nearly three decades, dispatching small teams across the realm of Earth looking for a human girl who was beginning to exhibit lore traits. They'd never had a name to work from, but their biggest problem was Olian had put a dampening spell on her, so they had no idea what she would even look like either. Locating her niece was proving to be far more challenging than an expert sorceress like herself had ever expected.

She knew that her niece's dampening spell would be wearing off as she neared her transition, which was cause for alarm in and of itself. Remembering the infant's vibrant red hair and violet eyes gave her pause, but if her powers manifested, she would definitely be identified as something other than human. They needed to find her before the transition started.

Of course, Ian's team was on it, and he was her best, despite his less than positive outlook. He had more than one leg up on the human detectives, who really had no idea what they were actually investigating.

Sophie Mecer, the woman who had gone missing, was a young and wily witch who had gotten involved with a human...and there was more than one reason why that was forbidden. But, like everything else that's forbidden, eventually somebody will break the rules. Prohibition failed and alcohol is still a recession proof industry. Monogamy failed, highest divorce rate in the history of marriage. Drugs failed, schools and jails are riddled with them. And now despite all of the lore's efforts to keep the races pure, some of them were co-mingling with humans in this realm.

Deisha and her people knew there were other hybrids of course, but none of them had been prophesied to develop unparalleled power and rule this realm at Vertigen's side. Since the search for the missing twin started, Deisha had been digging into her family history, questioning their heritage. However, despite all her efforts she could never trace their lineage, her lineage, beyond Willa. The question still remained. Where had their family really come from?

Deisha and her team had worked painstakingly for days developing a list of possible traits and characteristics the girl may exhibit based on their genetic heritage, but she had never gotten beyond her great, great, grandmother Willa. So, she worked with what they had.

Ian's team knew that Rowan's supposed psychic ability, if it came to its fruition, was either a sorceress' skill or a witch's. One of many possible traits in a diverse genetic line-up of an abandoned prophesied twin. No matter how many road blocks were in the way attempting to divert him, Ian's team had to find her. She was too important- something Deisha had known all along.

After ten years with Deisha, Ian was growing more downtrodden at the prospect of ever finding this girl because he had literally investigated thousands of erroneous claims. Regardless, he would continue in his tireless search because he could never repay Deisha for the personal sacrifice she had made to help him.

Ian remembered pushing his way through the heavy double doors of the precinct and heading down the hall to the captain's office anxious to finish his interview. He had walked right past his new subject of investigation in the hallway, she wasn't raising a single red flag. He directed no attention to her. Her meek demeanor and lack of presence demanded no consideration as he read the names on the doors in search of this 'Brunard' already knowing she would be another in a long line of fallible investigations. Ian had searched for Deisha's missing niece across the seven continents over the last ten years, investigating every one of Deisha's off the wall claims. And while he didn't want to disappoint Deisha, he had to admit to himself that he was starting to doubt the girl's very existence.