Chapter 43

"Kester? It's Declan. I'm calling you about Tearlach." He put the phone on speaker so that Rowan could hear the conversation as well.

"Tearlach?" Kester sounded surprised.

"Yeah, and I've got you on speaker phone. Rowan's here with me. I'm calling in regards to his safety. He came onto my property up in Alaska uninvited, and he'd taken almost full wolf form. This is unacceptable Kester, you need to keep your pup on a leash, or I'll remedy the situation personally." Declan's eyes morphed to black, his voice completely void of any emotion- his face, grave.

Rowan watched him. This was not the man she'd just been screwing in the shower. She had a feeling this was the man the wolves warned her about, an incredibly dangerous elder vampire with nearly unparalleled power and strength.

"He was not there on my authority, Declan. I assure you." Kester's voice was firm when he responded. His poker face was on, but he had a healthy respect for Declan.

"Glad to hear that, Kester. Will you give Tearlach a message for me then?" Declan wasn't so much asking as telling. It was just phrased that way out of respect for the alpha lycan.

"Of course, as soon as I see him." He knew what Declan was getting ready to say, and it wouldn't be pleasant.

"Fabulous then! Tell Tearlach that Rowan is not being held against her will. She may leave whenever she likes." He paused for affect, "...and if he ever sets his paws on any of my properties without my expressed invitation, I will kill him myself. She's just heard everything I've told you. I want you to hear for yourself."

"I don't wanna see Tearlach, Kester, and you know why. I'm not interested in him anymore, so please tell him to stop this nonsense before he gets someone killed." She walked behind the desk and sat down across Declan's thigh.

"Be sure he knows that Rowan sifted us away from my cabin tonight while he approached. Tell him she saved his life tonight." His hand found her thigh, "I'm not in the business of giving second chances Kester, as you well know." His eyes were a black abyss as Rowan continued watching him intently. She was attracted to power, it possessed her like a drug and the need to harness it was all encompassing. His hand slowly roved up her thigh and over her hip.

"A threat then Declan?" Kester sounded more perturbed as the conversation continued.

"Kester, you've known me long enough to know that I don't make threats. I kill people who get in my way. Good evening, Kester." Declan hung up the phone. There was nothing more to be said.

Rowan had no poker face, but Declan? Well, he'd shown no emotion at all even though she knew he was pissed. He was stoic and his voice never wavered. He was completely unreadable, which was by his own admission the definition of a truly dangerous man. After watching that, she was sure he was the most menacing man she'd met to date. Rowan filed that little piece of info away.

For as primal as these lore creatures were, they had demonstrated real decorum...well, except for the whole threat to kill Tearlach. She wanted to know more about this side of Declan, but what was scaring her right now was how attracted she was to his darker side. What did that say about her?

"Declan, your eyes are pitch black." She knew what it meant, he was hell and gone past angry. She ran her fingers through his hair. He probably didn't like that she'd sifted him out of there.

"My eyes are black when my emotions are on the verge of being...out of control." He looked away from her. He didn't want her to see him like this.

She pulled his face to hers, "Look at me. Are you upset with me for sifting us out?" She stared at him, trying to read his face.