Chapter 40

Rowan awoke to a wonderful aroma, barbecue. As she sat up, she saw Declan sitting across from her. His head reclined back against the chair, eyes closed. He appeared to be sleeping. Standing up, she walked over to where he was and placed her blanket over him not wanting to wake him from his peaceful slumber. Seeing him like this, how could anyone think he was a nefarious vampire? Actually, she wasn't buying it either.

She moved into the kitchen where she found homemade macaroni and cheese, barbecue, coleslaw and biscuits. She realized she hadn't asked him if he ate food or if he was strictly a blood diet guy? She stood up straight stretching, running her fingers through her hair, but as she started shaking it out she realized she had a kink in her neck. How long had she been sleeping?

She started to massage her neck and shoulders as she stared out the window over the sink. She tiptoed back across the floor, not wanting to disturb Declan, to stand just in front of the window by the fireplace. She was amazed at the silence here, she literally couldn't hear anything save the sound of her heart beating. She'd never known this kind of quiet. It was nice, but unsettling. She continued massaging her shoulder, when she heard his voice.

"Would you like some help with that?" He stood up from his chair and crossed the floor behind her. He'd been watching her traverse back and forth. Her casual saunter was bewitching to him.

"I think I slept wrong on it, just a kink." She continued rubbing the space between her neck and shoulder. She trembled, in a good way, when she thought of his hands on her again.

"Here, let me." He placed his hands over hers. She lowered them to her sides. "Where does it hurt?"

She couldn't form words as his large hands consumed her shoulders, squeezing just hard enough to work the soreness out of her muscles. She pointed at her neck where it sloped into her shoulder.

He sensed her body relaxing. "Here, come sit down." He slowly guided her backwards to the sofa.

Declan sat on the couch sliding all the way back, pulling Rowan down in front of him to sit between his legs.

She didn't know what to do. She laid her hands in her lap. Subtle moans escaped her lips as he alleviated all of the soreness.

"Thank you. I think you may have missed your calling." She laughed playfully as he continued to rub down her back. "First my feet, now my neck. I could sit here with you all night."

"Could you now?" She made him smile.

When his strong fingertips ran up her spine, over her neck and into her hair to massage her scalp she relaxed into him. Resting her back against his chest she felt the warmth of him permeate her thin t-shirt. He was as solid as a rock, but gentle as the breeze. If she continued to allow him to touch her like this, she wouldn't let him stop with just a back rub. The growling in her stomach steadily grew more audible as the aroma of the meal became more potent. She was famished, but his hands felt amazing roving over her body.

When she leaned into him, it was all he could do not to turn her around and kiss her, "I would like for you to sit here with me all night, but would you like some dinner first?" He waited, unmoving.

She was glad for his distraction because she damn sure didn't have it in her to tell him to stop or slow down, and she certainly didn't wanna look desperate. "Well, if it tastes anywhere near as good as it smells, I'll devour it." She turned, looking at him over her shoulder, wiggling her eyebrows at him teasingly.

Her smile filled his heart. Even with all the shit that had been dropped on her, she could still smile so innocently and playfully. He wanted her to have more of these moments, and he vowed that he would do whatever was necessary to see her smiling and laughing more often.

"Well, I made it, and it's been a long time since I've cooked for anyone. So, keep the bar low okay?"

She eased off the couch, but before she could stand he whispered into her ear, "Your smile is my rapture. I should like to see it more often."

Looking over her shoulder she grinned from ear to ear. "Well then, lets see about this dinner."

Rowan piled her plate high, hoping her eyes were bigger than her stomach. She was going to be ridiculously embarrassed if she ate all of this in front of him. Returning to the sofa she covered herself with the blanket and noticed he hadn't made himself a plate.

She was staring at him. "Does my not eating bother you?" Declan sat in the chair across from her, watching as she spooned heaping spoonfuls of macaroni and cheese into her mouth. He'd never seen a woman eat like this before. He was rather enjoying it.

"Does my eating like this bother you?" She laughed as she took a huge bite of barbecued chicken.

"Absolutely not. You look like you're enjoying it." His heart soared at the sight of her. He'd made her smile again.

"This is soooo good. You made this?" She took a ginormous bite of a biscuit. This food was almost orgasmic. She didn't believe that a man who didn't eat could cook this well.

"I made that for you. I don't cook for just anybody." His eyes were mesmerized by her as she smiled and laughed while consuming the food he'd made.

"Well, it's fabulous, and I should know because I love to eat." She continued eating the homemade goodness.

"That's funny. Your house was bare." His eyebrow raised in question.

"Love to eat. Loathe cooking." She continued to enjoy the food until the entire plate was clean. She didn't care if he stared, he better get used to it if he wanted her to stick around. She wasn't starving for anyone. After she finished she took her plate into the kitchen and proceeded with clean up.

"Well its a deal then. I'll cook. You clean up." He lounged back in his chair watching her as she moved. He laughed at her when she actually lapped up a big finger full of barbecue sauce before rinsing off the platter.

"What? It was good. Besides, I haven't eaten since..." She stopped right there. She hadn't eaten since she was with Tearlach.

He waited...

She didn't even want to mention his name and ruin what was happening between them right now. Just the thought of him made her body remember their night together and the pleasure she'd experienced under his expert touch, but her heart was quick to remind her of the pain he'd made her feel, too. Two sides to every coin. "Never mind. It's not important."

Somehow, he doubted that.