Chapter 81

Rowan had felt Tearlach's eyes glued to her since she walked out into the ocean, but now she sensed a presence that resonated a strength she hadn't felt before. It made the hair on the back of her neck stand at attention and her eyes light up like a fireworks show. Cahal was here and relatively close by, observing her before determining his price.

Even from a distance, she was intoxicating. Hell, the wolves on the beach couldn't take their eyes off her. No wonder the vampire wanted her. He moved in closer and caught her scent being carried inland by the ocean breeze. He smelled blood and hunger, but there was something else, something softer.

Breathing her in deeply, he closed his eyes. She was newly transitioned, and he knew it because of the way her power surged within her. She hadn't learned to control it yet and just knowing he was here had turned her eyes into a fire without flame. He sensed her readying, preparing to defend herself. Of course, she had no idea how much this turned a man like him on. He removed his t-shirt and kicked off his flops. Focusing in on her he ghosted into the water about twenty feet in front of her.

She kept her eyes peeled, continuously scanning the area around the beach. Suddenly, his form surfaced from the dark ocean just feet in front of her. His large muscular arms raised, pushing silky dark hair from his tanned face. His eyes were light jade, such a beautiful contrast from his warm mocha skin. God, he was statuesque, the kind of handsome that belonged on the cover of a magazine. "Cahal, I presume?"

When he stood, the water only came to his mid torso. His pectorals flexed with every move he made. He saluted to her, "That's me, pretty lady. You are far more attractive than I expected." He slowly circled her.

"Flattery will get you nowhere, man whore. Let's just hear the deal." She wanted to take this guy by the balls from the get go. She had no time.

Tearlach and Maitland headed for the water as soon as they saw him.

"Call them off, Rowan." Cahal's eyes narrowed on the wolves who were quickly approaching.

She turned and held her hand up for them to stop. "I'm okay guys. Just give us a minute." She felt Cahal move in to stand right behind her, "Take a step back tracker."

"As you wish." He retreated only the one step she requested. "Let's go for a swim and talk about our deal." He dove under the water and resurfaced about another ten feet out.

"I like to keep my feet on the ground. We'll talk here." She dipped her arms into the water as she continued to wash the blood from her upper arms and clothing. She was healing more quickly now. Clearly the food had helped and she was pretty sure getting the fuck out of that dirt hole Ian was holding her in had something to do with it, too.

He couldn't help but smile at his luck. It'd been a long time since he'd had this much fun making a deal. "Very well. I'm prepared to find Mairin for a fair price."

"Fair is vague and highly subjective, so clarify."

"Are you a smart woman, Rowan?" He stole a glance at the shore, both the wolves stood at attention watching them. "Because your friends could be dying while you negotiate the idiosyncrasies of our deal."

"Is that your plan then, scare me into agreeing to something? How much tracker?" Rowan held his gaze. At this distance she swore his eyes could actually be hypnotic in the moonlight. He was absolutely striking. Being a man whore would be an incredibly easy road to hoe for any man who was this beautiful. Maybe this was the path of least resistance. He just needs to look good to screw 'em' and leave 'em'. Commitment took work and effort, not the sort of thing a Mr. Minimum kind of guy would be involved in.