Chapter 70

After spending hours in the gym trying to work off some of the steam so he could sleep, Dorian finally laid his head on the pillow. He soon realized it was no use. Raine's beautiful face and hypnotizing green eyes were still there. And as much as he hated to admit it, he missed her. It was beginning to look as though he wouldn't be sleeping tonight.

When his phone rang, it startled him and his first thought was that maybe she'd gotten over their little spat and wanted to come back to him. But when he looked at the number his stomach sank.

"Father?" It was awfully late for him to be calling which meant something was wrong.

"Dorian? Deisha just called. You're going to need to take Antaine to Cuan's. You're on duty. Rowan refused to go through the portal."

"Shocker." Dorian was beginning to find her actions predictable.

"She's fine. She's with Ian. The problem is Tearlach and Maitland went after her. Their plan is to track her to his place." Boone stared out the window unable to get a good hold on the vibe he was picking up on.

"They'll be slaughtered if they go anywhere near there. Stupid damn lycans." Dorian was about done with babysittin' duties. First Antaine and now the pups. Looks like he was being pulled off one detail only to be put on another.

"Well, they don't know where he is, but it's only a matter of time. Someone needs to watch over them because Rowan would never forgive us if we let anything happen to them. Also, Declan, Scanlan and Vertigen are all looking for her, so be careful out there. I expect the three of you to go together. It's safer." He knew they were powerful individually, but together they were damn near unstoppable. Of course, they'd never gone up against the likes of men like Declan and Vertigen.

"And you think Antaine will be safe with Cuan's people?" Dorian's trepidation was laden in his response. He didn't agree with this decision, but he was always respectful when speaking to his father.

"Not for long no. Deisha's coming to get him. She'll take him through her portal where he can join his mother and Kester's pack."

"Sounds good. We'll leave in the morning when Antaine wakes up. The wolves should be fine for one more night." Dorian was confident Antaine would be safe at Cuan's, but he wanted to be sure Deisha was there to transport first in case anything went wrong.

"That's fine, but remember son, lots of people are looking for Rowan, and the lycans are their best lead, so someone will be following Tearlach. Keep your eyes open."

"We know the drill old man. Don't you worry about us." Dorian laughed at his father, still trying to protect them. Adrenaline pumped through his body at the prospect of an ensuing battle. He'd been baby sitting for far too long.

"You are my sons. Call me if you see anything suspicious or if you're outgunned. I mean it Dorian. These are some heavy hitters son." Boone knew his sons well enough to know they would never call him, but he had to try. While his sons were powerful, there were others out there who would give them a run for their money to say the least.

"Love you, too, father. Good night." Dorian appreciated his father, not every kid had one who stuck around. Rowan hadn't. For a split second he felt sorry for the way he'd treated her, but he got over that real fast because guilt trips never took you anywhere.

Dorian spoke to Hirum and Silas about his father's phone call. Since their conception in the womb the three of them had always been one, a united front in the midst of whatever they faced and above all...completely loyal to each other. They spent the night readying their sorcerer's things for their departure to Cuan's camp. They were gonna need some things if they were gonna be dealin' with Declan and Vertigen.

After speaking with Dorian, Boone called Cuan to give him the head's up about his sons' arrival with Antaine in the morning. With the current climate you certainly didn't want to surprise anyone...especially not the head of the demon army.

"Cuan, it's Boone."

"Boone? What can I do for you?" Cuan didn't really know Boone, but the stories about his sorcery were respectable.

"I'm sending my boys to you. They've been guarding Antaine, but they need to leave him with your people for just a little while." Boone knew he'd have questions.

"What's up?" Cuan knew Boone would never ask this of him if there were any other options.

"Rowan refused to go through the portal."

Cuan practically laughed at that, "I know."

"Well, when she didn't go through it sent off a chain of events. Neither Maitland nor Tearlach would remain off realm without her, so Deisha returned them here. They're looking for her now, but she's with Ian. Sorry, I can't tell you where that is."

"Need to know basis and right now I don't need to know, Boone. But, why are your boys coming here?" Cuan understood the necessity of keeping some secrets but whenever powerful sorcerers walked around his compound, he asked questions and expected answers.

"We figured we could trust you since it involves the pack. Deisha's coming to pick-up Antaine from them. She'll take him off realm to his mother and their pack. The triplets are going after Tearlach and Maitland. Apparently, all the heavy hitters are after her right now: Declan, Vertigen, Scanlan. Take your pick. There's too many for the two of them to handle alone. They'll be slaughtered."

"That's a safe bet." Cuan's skin tingled at the opportunity to get in on a good fight. If someone fucked with his adoptive pack he'd be in the action somewhere.

"I've sent Dorian, Hirum and Silas to find them, so they'll be on their way to you to drop off Antaine in the morning. Once they hand him off to Deisha, they'll set out."

"Well, that's fortuitous. Tearlach and Maitland are on their way here, too." The stars aligned, but in Cuan's experience whenever things felt too lucky the luck was just a calling card for the ruinous events that always followed.

"I'd like to know how Tearlach and Maitland react to my sons being there." Boone snickered at that. Wolves didn't like being baby sat.

"Will do, and thanks for the heads up." Cuan appreciated being in the know. While he was good at handling surprises, it had never been his preference. He was a planner.

"I'll call the triplets...change of plans. They're gonna have to wake the kid and get over there tonight. I don't think the wolves will hang around for their babysitters to arrive in the morning." Boone was gonna call Dorian right back.

"Sounds good." Cuan looked up into the night sky with an overwhelming sense that something dark was lurking out there, just beyond his reach.

"Good luck, talk with you soon." Boone hung up the phone and re-dialed his son with the change of plans. Antaine could sleep when he reached the other realm.