Chapter 68

Kroy called Declan as soon as they saw Tearlach leaving Tahnee's boutique. Unfortunately, he wouldn't have good news. Rowan wasn't with him. It'd been a long time since Kroy had seen a wolf as big, and menacing, as the one traveling with Tearlach, but he was anxious for the opportunity to spar with the big bastard.

"Guess who we ran into..." Kroy was surprised they'd happened along Tearlach so quickly. Clearly he hadn't disappeared with the other lycans, or...he'd come back for something?

"Who?" Declan's voice was hopeful.

"Tearlach, and he's with another wolf, big bastard, too. They were walking out of Tahnee's shop when we arrived."

"Did you say Tearlach?" Declan had seen him cross over with the wolves. They all had.

"No reason for them to be there when their whole pack disappeared. Unless maybe they're looking for someone, too?" Kroy had always loved the pursuit. It was nearly as intoxicating as the kill. He'd never saddled himself with a woman because that's where a man's problems always seemed to start. Like right now for instance, he didn't like how this female had so many people up in arms. 'Just who was this Rowan anyway?'

"It's probably Maitland. Reportedly he's grown quite fond of my Rowan. Follow them. Don't engage them unless you see her...or a means of getting to her." Something was wrong. Rowan had been with the lycans last night. Declan saw all of them at the portal's entrance. He'd watched Rowan and the strange male disappear right before him, followed by Tearlach and Maitland.

Then it hit him. Could she have sifted herself out right before they went through? No one had been able to sift in or out of that compound, but had she? Maybe she hadn't wanted to go over and was still somewhere in this realm? Did he dare hope for the best possible explanation? Perhaps Rowan hadn't trusted Deisha and wasn't willing to walk through her portal, so she sifted out? Maybe her learning curve was shortening up. It would explain why the wolves had returned to this realm.

If she did sift she couldn't go off realm. She wouldn't know how or where to go. Realizing she was still here, in this realm somewhere, filled him with a new sense of urgency to find her. Sooner or later someone would figure out where she was.

"One thing. There was a male with her at the portal, someone I didn't know...which concerns me. When I investigated the compound his scent was in her room, but it wasn't lycan. Never smelled anything like it, but he was in very close proximity to her. I think she's with him, somewhere. I'll speak to Dugald, see what his people know, but we need information on him. He'll lead us straight to her."

"I'll call when we find out more." Kroy gave the signal to his guys that they were leaving and hung up. They needed a vehicle so they could follow at a distance. "What do you guys think of that?" He pointed towards a silver hummer in the back of the lot.

Driscoll and Reyid both nodded in agreement.

They loaded up and headed in the same direction as the lycans.

Declan slammed his fists into the desk, the metal morphed beneath his hands like warm candle wax. She was still here, in this realm, with another male. The thought of someone touching her, being close to her, replacing him...he roared into the emptiness of his office.

He needed to calm himself because he couldn't afford to make rash decisions or mistakes right now. Standing, he paced the hardwood floor in his office. After a few moments he breathed deeply, focusing on the feel of her beneath him, her unique scent wafting around him...her smile. He felt himself calming down enough to dial Dugald's number and start asking questions. It was time for the demon to prove his worth.

"Dugald, I need a favor?" Declan had no time for niceties.

"Is there a reward?" Dugald never did anything for free.

"Find my bride, and you can name your price." Declan's voice was calm, but his insides were raging like flood waters after a storm.

"Rowan's a hard one to keep a handle on, huh?" Dugald lit his cigar. This was the second time he'd been approached by Declan in regards to this woman. She could be the key to his financial windfall.

"Don't push me demon. Do you have anyone on the inside?" Declan knew he did. They all did.

"Of course, but sacrificing his covert position in their clan will cost you. He's been there for years, and he's well trusted. That took time and effort." Dugald knew his decision to push one of his men into Cuan's house would pay off eventually.

"Just find her demon. You'll be satisfied with the pay out." Declan didn't care about the cost. He could make more money, but he couldn't live without her.

"Find her or bring her to you?" Dugald was no fool, there were lots of people looking for her right now, but somehow he knew finding her wouldn't be near as difficult as actually getting his hands on her.

"Find her. I'll do the rest. I don't want her harmed Dugald. Do you understand?" Declan didn't trust Dugald's ability or his peoples' to handle her delicately.

"Talk with you soon, Declan." Duglad was anxious to get his people on it. He already had the money spent. This would be the means to restore his establishments and pay off his debts.

"One more thing. Scanlan's pack is aligned with me. Between the three of us, I want her found." Declan hung up the phone.

Dugald hated Scanlan. It would be a pseudo alignment at best. He avoided working with other factions because he didn't play well with others. But, for the kind of money Declan was suggesting, he could play nice...for a little while.