Chapter 53

While Kester was no ally to him, Declan needed to be sure she wasn't there. Wolves were beneath vampires on the evolutionary chain, and he hated that she'd already been with one of them. He wouldn't give Tearlah an opportunity to make things right with her.

The phone rang only once.

"Kester here." He'd been working so hard getting this meeting set up with the allies that he hadn't even bothered to check caller ID.

"Do you know what Rowan's done?" Declan hissed into the phone.

He recognized the vampire's voice before he even finished asking his question. Kester was too smart for the lure, Declan was fishing. He was looking for her. "What are you talking about Declan?"

"So you haven't seen her then?" Declan was almost certain she wouldn't run back to the wolves because Tearlach was searching for her, and Rowan was the kind of woman who didn't want to be found. She was a runner, someone who didn't want to stay and work out her problems. She just wanted to be done with the problem and leave it all in a cloud of dust behind her. He just wanted to be sure she wasn't hiding out there.

"No. We haven't seen her. She's a little pissed with Tearlach, but you already know that. She left you, too, then?" Kester wasn't above taking the opportunity to rub that painful fact in the bastard's face.

"If you see her..."

He cut him off, " I don't think we'd be her first stop." He waited to see if the vampire would give him any information.

"Very well. Be careful with your puppies wolf. She just hacked up her brother, can't imagine what she'd do to Tearlach. Vertigen's seen her now, too, so he'll be hot on her heels. Probably don't want that prick hangin' out at the compound..huh?" He laughed as he hung up the phone, confident that Kester wouldn't lie to him. He would know the consequences for the betrayal.

Kester set his phone back down on the table with a smile, knowing he was getting the last laugh. It was good the vampire had no idea she was hiding out with them. The pack had been advised to keep her presence at the compound a secret. If the vampires, or Vertigen's crew, found out she was there, well, he didn't want to think about that. Hell hath no fury like a scorned wizard...except for maybe a mated vampire who believes you're holding his mate. Between the two factions, they would decimate the wolves.

There was no way around it, Kester needed his allies. Which meant he needed to get back on the phone.