Chapter 19

Vampires had been on Earth for centuries, but none had made a name for themselves like Declan McGinty. He'd been on earth for nearly a thousand years, and in that time he'd devoted his life to making money, building alliances and assembling his empire. As the most powerful, and influential vampire on the planet, he did what he wished, took what he wanted and killed anyone who stood between him and his end game. And if one day he found his bride they could live together, wherever they wanted. He could give her everything she ever desired- and more.

In his eyes everything started with allies. People would be the scaffolding for a larger empire- his empire, and he'd made an art out of creating trustworthy allies. Declan had a history of being very generous, lavishly rewarding the most loyal to him as they helped him ascend in the climb to the top. But, Declan also held his people to a higher standard, expecting them to carry their own weight and then some.

Most of his followers spoke very highly of Declan and his fair treatment; however, anyone who invoked his wrath secondary to disloyalty, dishonor or disobedience knew he would never negotiate their death sentence.

While he only entrusted his trio: Bhaltair, Anlaf and Xanthe with inside information, he rewarded the most loyal of his people by bringing them into his luxurious homes where he treated them as equals, ensuring they wanted for nothing save to continue to serve him and reap the rewards for their efforts.

His team was hunting a man named Dermid for a grave injustice against one of his female employees, and he always found what he hunted. Sending his trio was overkill actually, but he had no other options. His other men, Marshall, Driscoll and Reyid, were already dealing with another issue involving a Mr. Oliver Pratt who had failed to deliver on his pharmaceuticals.

When one of Declan's insiders on the demon grounds called him and told him Dermid was being guarded by some heavy hitters, he called in the big guns. Gavina had saved Dermid, but when he sifted away, leaving her to fend for herself, she paid the price with her life.

He hadn't ordered his people to kill off all Dermid's guardians, but Gavina and her crew wouldn't stand down. They met his entourage of vampires in force, protecting Dermid, and Declan would never sacrifice one of his own, not even for an innocent like Gavina. Sometimes people died. Innocence was not a safeguard against violence.

Sitting in his office at MINGLE he tried to touch bases with all of his people and run his businesses. When the phone rang, he hoped it was Marshall with good news about Mr. Oliver Pratt.

"Declan here."

"It's me. We still haven't found him. We've been to all of his properties and checked into all the watering holes he frequents, nothing."

"I see." Declan looked to his trusted comrade, Bhaltair, for answers, this wasn't like him.

"There's something else." Bhaltair was hopeful Declan would find this news uplifting.

"Tell me."

"Word is they found her. The missing girl from Vertigen's prophecy."

Declan hadn't given two shits about her. He'd planned on crossing that bridge if it ever presented itself. Looked like that day had come. "Well, we can't let Vertigen get his hands on her. If the prophecy is true she could be just what he needs to take over. So, forget about Dermid. Find out who she is, who has her and where. Marshall, Driscoll and Reyid are still out, but put everyone else on it." Declan knew Vertigen's sorcery was a force to be reckoned with, and if this mystery woman proved to be half as powerful as predicted, his expertise and knowledge would help to create yet another powerful alliance, which would perhaps allow him to rid this world of Vertigen...forever!

"I'm on it." Bhaltair hung up the phone and vanished into thin air.