Chapter 44

Kester needed to make Tearlach understand the jeopardy he was putting the whole pack in because Declan didn't make threats. In fact, he was surprised Declan had even given him a warning at all. Maybe he did it to appease Rowan? Regardless, Declan would come at them in full force, if Tearlach continued in his reckless pursuit.

Kester had ordered Tearlach to meet with him privately. Waiting for him in his office at the compound Kester wasn't exactly sure what he was going to say. Everything hinged on Tearlach's response. He always tried to give his wolves the benefit of the doubt. He only hoped Tearlach could be reasonable about this delicate situation.

When Kester heard the loud knock on the door he didn't have to guess who it was, "Come on in."

"Kester." Tearlach was glad they were alone, this wouldn't be an easy conversation to have.

"Jesus, Tearlach! You look like shit." Kester knew immediately that Tearlach was not himself. His clothes were tattered, his hair disheveled and the circles under his eyes were evidence of his lack of sleep since she'd left. He was acting like a mated wolf. Typically Tearlach was a lighthearted guy who enjoyed teasing his friends and making people laugh. Not today. Today, Tearlach looked like a man who was runnin' head first into his grave.

"She's with that fucking vamp. I almost had her, but he sifted with her before I could reach them. I have to find her. She has no idea what he really is, Kester."

"Actually, that's why I asked you here. We need to talk." He motioned for him to sit down.

"About what?"

"I got a call from him yesterday. Claimed you were on his property up in Alaska?" Kester knew it was true, but he needed to hear Tearlach's side.

"He threatened you, didn't he?" Tearlach's face was fierce. Piercing blue eyes focused on Kester as he waited for his response.

"Not exactly, but he did promise to kill you if you walked onto another property of his uninvited." Kester waited while Tearlach considered the fall out.

"Meaning he would come for me here with his hunting party?"

"That's how it works T." Kester stood up and crossed the room.

"Mother fucker threatened my pack?" Tearlach ran his hands through his hair.

Standing a few feet in from of him he continued, "Not out right, but it was insinuated. Listen there's something else. Rowan was with him when he called. He didn't sift them outta there. She did. She said this issue is between you and her, not Declan. She told me to tell you."

"What? Tell me what?" Tension mounted in every muscle. He could take a guess at what she'd said.

Kester took a deep breath, "She doesn't want to see or talk to you T." He hated telling him this, knowing it would crush him, but he was the Alpha. No matter how he felt personally because right now his whole pack could be at stake.

"She's mine, Kester, and I will find her." Tearlach's heart literally hurt. He'd never felt pain like this and yet, his wolf had never even recognized her as his mate. He didn't know what she was supposed to be to him, but he knew she was his- period.

"She is not your mate T, you know that." Kester knew it didn't matter what he said. Tearlach's mind was made up.

"Neilina is not my mate. The wolf inside of me may have recognized that bitch, but I will never have her. I want Rowan." Tearlach knew there would be fall out between the packs over his refusal of Neilina.

"Wolves don't refuse their mates. It's unheard of T."

"Well, I'm telling you I do refuse her, and I will have nothing more to do with the rituals either." His eyes fixated on Kester's trying to get a read on him as the conversation took a turn.