Chapter 9

"We have to get her out of here! The fucker obviously knows who she is. He tried to kill her." Raine's blood was pumping furiously, excited over their little battle with the panther. Damn she loved a good fight.

"Well, whoever he works for will know who and where she is now. He'll be back with reinforcements, and it won't take long." Maeve stood over Rowan as she watched Karita assess her vitals.

"She needs a doc now. Her pulse is fading. She can't heal herself if she's just beginning her transition." Karita was calm under the pressure, but she knew if they didn't get her sewn up pretty quickly she'd bleed out.

"Where do we take her?" Raine was not so calm. Eyes open wide, pupils grown to twice their size. She was taking in all the possible dangers the alley presented.

"We can take her to Greer's. There's a doc there. We can heal her, but then the shit's really gonna hit the fan. Someone's gonna have to tell her...everything." Karita picked Rowan up as though she were carrying a sleeping child to her bed.

"We go now. I can smell him, and he's close." Raine pulled her daggers from her hip holsters.

Raine and Maeve encircled Rowan in a triangle of protection as they headed for the opening to the alley.

"Raine, get the Rover." Karita's phlegmatic composure persisted as she organized their exit strategy.

Raine moved like lightning pulling the vehicle from an adjacent street to sit in front of the darkened alley, hiding their escape from any curious human eyes.

Karita threw the door open before the vehicle even came to a stop, "Maeve, you ride up front while I sit with Rowan in back...and lean over the seat because someone's gotta help me hold her together...literally." She knew Maeve didn't have the stomach for this shit, but there really wasn't a choice. Someone had to help her hold in the spillage.

Raine loved her black as night Range Rover with sinfully darkened windows, so she couldn't help but be a little pissy that someone's entrails were soiling her back seat. Driving like she stole it, she tore out of the alley leaving nothing but exhaust smoke behind them. "Greer is gonna be pissed at us. You know that. This happened on on our watch." Her eyes found the rearview mirror, trying to get a glimpse of Rowan to assess her condition.

Maeve's arms were up to their elbows in Rowan's blood and entrails. "Fuck that noise! We found her tonight. What if we hadn't? She's been in hiding for twenty eight years, and we fucking found her, not Greer or any of Deisha's boys...us!" Maeve's coven and their skilled witch craft were the reason they'd even found her at all. So no, she was not gonna be blamed for this shit, and she didn't want her girls getting their panties in a bunch over what the foul tempered Greer might do.

"Greer will say we should have just hauled her ass out of there when we saw the damn panther." Raine had never been accused of beating around the bush. She was a no bullshit kind of girl.

"Yeah, cuz that wouldn't cause a scene?" Maeve laughed under her breath. "The whole point was to find her quietly, not to alert any of the other factions. God this is just nasty. How long before she turns?"

"Who knows. Just keep your hands in there!" Karita yelled over the screeching of the tires as they rounded a corner doing forty.

"Yeah well, Greer is your typical demon...terrible temper and not exactly stealth. It would behoove him to remember that. It's pretty much a shit storm when they show up and we need her alive." Raine smirked. She had had more than one run-in with demons.

"There's a reason Deisha didn't put him on one of her search teams. His talent lies in other areas." Karita picked up the satellite phone to let Greer know they were haulin' ass to get to him. He needed to alert the doctor, give him time to prep for her arrival, and be on standby to hopefully save her life.