Chapter 38

The claw foot stand alone tub she was sitting in was oversized. What was it with lore creatures and big ass tubs? Well, their size was an issue! Whatever, she loved these damned things. His bathroom was clean and very bare, decorated with essentials only. The floor to ceiling windows along one wall allowed her to see trees for miles under the bright light of the moon. Outside, the forest was still, as snow continued to fall silently over the terrain. He had delivered tranquility, exactly what she'd asked for. She couldn't help but close her eyes for a moment.

Waking to a light knock on the door, she immediately realized the water was freezing. How long had she been in here?

"Rowan? You okay in there?" He was a little worried. She'd been in there a while and he hadn't heard a peep from her. He wanted to be sure she hadn't had second thoughts about being with him here and sifted out.

She called out to him not wanting him to enter, "Sorry, I fell asleep. The water is freezing. How long have I been in here?"

"About an hour and a half. But don't worry about it, I've got a roaring fire downstairs, come on down and get warmed up. My people dropped off some things from your house. I just grabbed something for you to wear. I'll leave it right outside the door...okay?" He couldn't help imagining what her body would look like as she exited the tub...wet, cold, needing his large hands to envelope her in a soft warm towel. Scenting her through the door he stiffened. Hearing the towel being swept over her damp skin made his eyes start to turn. His balls tightened just imagining it. He'd never envied an inanimate object more. Normally he was able to exercise more control, but right now his best and only defense was to walk away.

Had she heard him right? He was leaving the clothes outside the door? She couldn't believe he wasn't trying to use that as an excuse to gain entry. Drying off quickly, she wrapped the towel around her tightly. Opening the door slowly, she spied the clothes on the floor right in front of the door. She grabbed the outfit and pulled the door closed.

Suave and smart. He'd grabbed the comfiest clothing she owned, black spandex pants with her white long sleeve cotton v-neck shirt. She loved cotton and spandex. Some people said spandex weren't made for everyone...well fuck them! Everyone deserved a little comfort. After towel drying her hair she headed downstairs. Her hair was so thick now it would take forever to dry on its own. She'd need a hairdryer, hopefully Declan's people had the good sense to grab it for her.

When Declan saw her hopping down the stairs in her comfy clothes, he felt like he was home. It was a foreign sensation. He felt an indescribable warmth spread throughout his body. Without a speck of make-up on or fancy clothing she was easily the most beautiful woman he'd ever seen. It took every ounce of his strength to contain himself. Walking over to the couch, he picked up the goose down blanket he'd thrown over the arm. "There you are. Come sit down. This is the warmest blanket in the house." When she sat down, he tucked the blanket around her.

"I love it here." She pulled the blanket up to her neck trying to warm up.

"I'm glad." He smiled down at her, noticing the faintest sprinkling of freckles on her cheekbones and nose which made her look even more innocent than he already knew she was.

"It was so peaceful sitting in the tub watching the snow fall. I just fell asleep. Sorry about that. I realize you probably have better things to do than wait around for me to parade out of the bathroom." She smiled coyly at him hoping he didn't have other things to do that would take him away from her.

"This is exactly where I want to be Rowan. I just didn't want you to feel like I was pressuring you to be here with me." He walked back towards the fire place.

"No! I mean, I don't. You've been a perfect gentleman so far." She snuggled down into her blanket in front of the warm crackling fire place watching his ass as he walked away from her. It looked like she could have bounced a quarter off it, and she would have gotten two dimes and a nickel back. The man wasn't just good looking, he was a panty dropper.

"Well, that's a first." He threw another log on the fire.

"What's that?" Her eyes continued watching every move he made.

"No one's ever accused me of being a gentleman before...ever." He headed into the kitchen. "Would you like something warm to drink? Kahlua and coffee maybe?"

"Sounds great, thank you." Gazing out the window she noticed the perimeter of the house was all lit up. She could see the snow falling harder now, it was almost a wall of white outside. "What's with all the lights?"

"Just a little extra security. I don't need them, but I wanted you to feel safe here, so I turned them on. I can sense any creature that comes near here, but I figured you might appreciate it. If you'd like I can shut them off?"

"Maybe we could just leave them on the first night?" She sounded like a child who was afraid of the dark, only now she knew there were definitely things to be afraid of.

"Of course we can. Now, let's get this drink in you, warm you up from the inside. " He stood in front of her, eyebrows raised waiting for her response.

She sipped the drink. The Kahlua was sinfully smooth going down. "Will you sit with me?"

He immediately took a seat at the end of the sofa, by her feet. When his leg brushed against her toes peeking out from the blanket, they were like icicles. "Your feet are freezing." He grabbed her feet from under the blanket, massaging them one at a time.

What she'd read about vampires in her paranormal books wasn't proving to be true at all. His hands were like a hearth, promising to warm her right up. "I thought vampires were supposed to be cold with that whole no heart...no blood thing, but..."

"Ah yes, your extensive collection of paranormal romance novels was...surprisingly coincidental. Maybe your subconscious was trying to tell you something all along?"

"You saw those huh?" Uncomfortable!

"Young vampires are cold. But I'm very powerful Rowan, and the power coursing through me creates heat. It's like charged particles. Think lightning."

"Yeah, well, science wasn't my best subject, but I love thunder storms." She was deliberate in her flirtation. She couldn't help herself. She was quickly becoming infatuated with him. "I'm glad for the warmth. I absolutely abhor being cold." She was enjoying her trifecta of perfection: warmth, coffee and massage.

"I'll remember that next time. I have homes all over the world. You certainly have options." He was a little upset he'd chosen Alaska now, because he'd wanted it to be perfect.

She hated that she'd sounded unappreciative. She hadn't meant to. "Oh, don't get me wrong. Your cabin is exquisite and I really appreciate you taking me away from the shit storm."

"I'm glad you like it." He liked that she was trying to protect his feelings, most women feigned an interest in him because he was wealthy and powerful, but it was an act. None of them really gave a shit about him. And truth be told, he'd never cared about anyone either- until now...until her.

After a few minutes of his powerful fingertips against the arch and ball of her foot, the warm cackling fire and the silent snow falling outside, keeping her eyes open became onerous. She yawned, "You leavin'?"

Knowing she was only minutes from sleep he reached over for her mug to keep it from spilling. "Only if that's your wish." He rubbed harder when his fingertips moved over the balls of her feet sending chills up her spine. He watched her shiver at his touch. Her smile warmed him in more than one place. She'd said she hated the cold. Next time he would take her south to Louisiana. He loved the bayou for more than its temperature, food and music.

"Please stay.." she couldn't even open her leaded eyelids. It wasn't that she trusted him enough to fall asleep. It was just that she was ready to drop after the bath and now with the alcohol and his foot rub, well it pushed her right over the edge, and she didn't want to be here alone.

"You've been through a lot Rowan. Just sleep, I'll be here when you wake up." He was winning her over faster than he'd expected. She'd asked him to stay.

While she slept, Declan took the opportunity to make some phone calls. Even though he'd found his bride there was still work to do. He needed to check in with his people. See how things were playing out.

And when that was finished he was gonna sit down with his men and figure out where Oliver Pratt was, and how to annihilate Dermid...as soon as he found him.