Chapter 30

As they approached the compound, Rowan felt drawn to it. She couldn't explain the allure, but she was definitely connecting to something here. The castle was herculean by any standards. Stone walls at least two hundred feet tall with symmetrical windows well off the ground floor. Double doors at the front entrance were at least twelve feet tall with solid reinforced steel. Beautifully, hand welded designs crested the entrance- a pack of wolves howling at a full moon in a clear night sky.

They exited the vehicle and approached the lycan home.

As the doors opened, Rowan realized that something had the lycans on edge. Several females poured out onto the lawn. Others had converged in a huddle around a woman standing at the entryway. Whoever she was, she was clearly distraught. Rowan sensed real fear, and the panicked look in this woman's eyes couldn't be mistaken for anything else.

At the sight of Kester, the woman lifted her eyes. "Will she help us?" she uttered through her sobs.

Kester looked at Sabia with empathy, pulling her to him he whispered, "Yes, she'll help us find Lileas."

The emotions rolling off Sabia were of both fear, and deep affection for whomever this Lileas was. Rowan wondered what they were to each other, and if Sabia would survive if Lileas perished. She sensed she wouldn't. Sabia released her hold on Kester and slowly approached Rowan with her arms at her sides.

Sabia was average build but there was something dangerous about the way she moved. Rowan sensed that she was the kind of woman who walked softly, but with a big damn stick. However, Rowan knew without a doubt that Sabia meant her no harm as she approached.

Sabia, a warrior amongst her pack, stood in front of Rowan, "Please, I beg you. She's my only sister." They'd all felt Rowan's power surge, even from this far away from the cabin. Sabia knew Rowan was a force to be reckoned with, even if Rowan hadn't recognized the strength she was carrying within her yet.

Shit. She didn't really know why they were expecting her to be able to do anything. Hell, Cuan had brought her here for training. But, regardless of all that, her heart broke for Sabia. She'd never known a love like this, and at the rate she was going, she probably never would. But, she remembered Karita's grief over her sister Gavina's death, and she would never wish that kind of pain on anyone.

Rowan placed her hands on the side of Sabia's face, wiping her tears away. "She is the mother of my nephew, and that makes her my family, too. I will do everything in my power to bring Lileas home. You have my word."

Pulling her into an embrace, Sabia muttered, "Thank you, Rowan. Thank you."

Kester couldn't believe that after everything Rowan had been through she was still willing to aide a stranger. He was indebted to her, even if Lileas was never found. Rowan was honorable and would do the right thing- much like her great grandmother Willa. She was a powerful ally in the making. "Rowan, please come inside, we have much to discuss."

Rowan liked Kester. He didn't order her around, rather he asked politely. It was the little things really.

Rowan found herself being led through a large concrete foyer and up a set of winding stairs to the second floor of the rustic castle. It was cold, drafty and very plain.

Her senses were quickly becoming more acute. Reading the people around her seemed almost effortless. She reached out with her mind and found her presence to be met with mixed emotions. Some of the lycans were grateful to see her, while others appeared fearful of what an alliance with her might bring to their door. It was all about perspective.

Leading her down a long, wide hall, Kester let out a big breath of air as though he was getting ready to drop a bomb on her. "Listen, uh, some of these guys in here are gonna look familiar to you."