Chapter 50

Rowan was face to face with Tearlach, who had clearly torn her room apart looking for evidence of a private agenda. "What the hell are you doing in here?"

"Are you kiddin' me right now? You left me here. I thought we were.."

Holding her palm out to him she cut him off before he went too far, "We aren't. We aren't anything, Tearlach." Rowan perceived numerous emotions washing over him: sadness, anger, guilt, and frustration.

"Fine. I understand you don't want me like that anymore," Tearlach took a step towards her, his eyes on the floor, "but..."

"Great. Now, I'm gettin' in the shower which means you... are leaving. Show yourself out, kay?" Rowan grabbed a dress from the closet before walking into the bathroom just in case he didn't comply with her request.

Tearlach watched her as she headed into the bathroom. When he heard the faucet turn on, he took a gamble and placed two tracking devices: one in her stilettos and one in her thigh high boots. He couldn't decide which he liked better. He just hoped he got to see her in one or the other again someday...and nothing else.

He had no idea what she was up to, but one thing was clear, she wasn't letting him in on it of her own free will. Secrets. There would be secrets between them now because of him. Honesty was a two way street, and he was the one who'd fucked up the grid. He left her room to let Kester know she'd returned.

She stood in the shower hoping the heat would loosen her up a little bit. She didn't know what the hell just happened at Cuan's, but she had just tortured Munroe, something the human element still residing within her had a huge problem with. She didn't seem to be able to get a grip on herself, the sex, the power...the darkness she felt creeping in. It scared her. What if the prophecy was true? She closed her eyes, telling herself she had choices. Fate didn't determine her future... she did.

After a long shower, she emerged from the bathroom beautification process with a plan for the evening. She rummaged through the donated clothing, but there wasn't anything suitable for the fight she had imagined herself having tonight.

She needed a disguise. Certainly both Dermid and Vertigen knew what she looked like by now, and they would have others looking for her out there, too. A wig? She always wanted to try blonde hair. The sound of her phone ringing distracted her from her thoughts.

She didn't recognize the number, but she answered it anyway "Hello?" Rowan's pulse quickened, her body knew who it was before he even spoke. She had some kind of connection to this male no matter how much she despised it or tried to deny it.

"I've been looking for you. You haven't answered your phone." Declan was relieved to hear her voice.

She couldn't have formed the right words fast enough if she tried, so she remained silent. As much as she hated to admit it, he scared her, but even more concerning, she was still attracted to him. "Your friend Anlaf annihilated my jaw and broke several of my ribs which punctured a lung. Makes it kind of hard to breathe let alone talk."

"I'm sorry about that. You could at least let me explain." She'd been hurt worse than he thought.

Listening to him only meant she was interested, "Only if I gave a shit and I don't." It was kind of a lie. Her mind wasn't interested and neither was her heart, but her body couldn't deny the pleasure she'd felt in his arms.

"Surely after the time we spent together, the time we spent skin to skin in the shower..."

"Save it vampire. I'm busy." She couldn't let him talk about the ecstasy she'd felt with him. Her body was an easy target, and he had known that from the beginning, but now, she did, too.