10-Test of Truth

Hours Later...9 PM...Manuel's Residence

I paced back and forth by the dining table while my wife sat down with her cellphone in her hand. The dialling of the phone tickled at my ears as I waited to hear a hello from Irena or Farrell. How would they even believe me? Its been two decades since her disappearance.

Finally, the long awaiting stop when the voice of Farrell was loud and clear from the speakers.

"Hello, Manuel. How have you been?"

"Hi Farrell, I've been great actually" My wife Mara answered while having her eyes glued to me

"Oh! Mara! It's great to hear from you! Shall I get Irene for you two to catch up?"

"Actually we need both of you present by the phone. It's really important." I said breaking the ice

"Alright Mara and Manuel give me a second I'll get my wife"

The other end went silent but thoughts were still loud and chaotic. It was only a few seconds later when we could hear Irena's voice on the other line.

"Hello Mara and Manuel!"

"Hi Irena," I said

"What is it that you wanted to tell us? Is it about the accident that involved Axel?" Farrell asked

"Well it's a part of it," Mara said

I cleared my throat to speak

"Yes, my wife is right. It's a part of the accident actually the victim who was injured. She's- How do I even say this?"

"Has she passed away? I know the stress can be alot" Irena said concerned

"No, she's not dead. She might be Charisma."

"What are you trying to say?" Irena said with a cold tone

"The victim resembles Charisma. Your missing daughter."

The other end of the phone went quiet. Had my words offended them?

"Hello?" Mara said quietly

The phone call ended without a bye or even a reply. I sighed deeply disappointed by their reactions.

"Give them time Manuel; they just need space to think," Mara said staring at her phone screen

Meanwhile...Irena and Farrell's Residence

Why would they say her name? Charisma, my sweet Charisma. I couldn't bear hearing her name. I had to end the call right away. My wife Irena looked at me with concern and teary eyes.

"Calm down Farrell...Please"

"What if we get too excited and the results show she isn't our daughter?"

"We'll think this through together like we always do," Irena said softly with a tear rolling down her cheek

I brought my hand to her face wiping the escaping tear away with my thumb. We needed time, but time waits for no one.

One week later... Back At Axel's Mansion

I sat up from the bed swinging my feet, I've been laying here for a week. Covered in bruises and bandages. The door creaked open; walking in came Lilith. I've tried to memorize most of their names by now; Lilith, Cedric and Axel.

Always the same three faces; not that I'm complaining. I just hate laying around.

"Hey Alora"

"Hi Lilith," I say with a smile