Chapter Twelve

Later that night, the pogues pulled up to The Wreak.

"Stealing drones makes you hungry." Kie says, opening the door of the van.

"What I would do to a beer and shrimp and grits right now." JJ says, stepping out, then offering his hand to Everleigh, helping her out of the van. Pope following behind her.

"It would not be pretty." Pope says

Everleigh smiles, following Kiara into the restaurant.

"Hey, Dad. How'd we do?" Kie says, making her way towards her dad.

Kiara and her dad broke into conversation, Everleigh had stopped listening.

The only thing all of the Pogues heard from Kiara was, "These are my friends."

John B and Pope waved towards her dad, Everleigh simply smiled and JJ threw up an awkward peace sign.

"Sit down." Kiara says, shaking her head. All of the Pogues ran to any seat they could find. JJ and Everleigh of course sat with each other.

John B had started throwing fries at Everleigh and JJ, JJ tried catching them in his mouth, while Everleigh swatted them away.

A couple minutes later, Kiara started dancing, using her finger to signal John B to dance with her. Everleigh nods John B's way, telling him to go dance.

After a minute or two of watching them dance, JJ pulls Everleigh up, and pulls her to the open floor. He twirls her around, then pulls her in closer. Stepping in the same directions, both smiling.

The next morning they had all set out to set up the drone, checking to see if it worked.

Everleigh had sat infront of the screen, which showed John B, infront of the camera, pretending to brush his teeth with his finger.

JJ leans over Everleigh, trying to touch something.
"What's this?"

"Don't touch that." Pope cuts him off, swatting his hand away. I'm trying to work out this thing."

"God bless geeks, Pope. Truly, man. What would we do without you to control the drones?" Everleigh says, leaning her head back against JJ.

"It's not a drone. It's an ROV." He corrects her.

"Shut up. Shut up. It's too early for that right now." JJ stops him, John B and Kiara resurface. JJ leans Everleigh back up, and she stands, walking to the railing with him.

"Hey, once we get footage of the wreck, we'll bring it to a lawyer in town and file a formal claim." John B says. He looks up to the dock.

"It's bullshit. Why do we have to do that?" JJ asks.

"Well, there is maritime salvage law." Pope says, standing up, making his way towards the other side of JJ. "You can't just go to the ocean floor and scoop a bunch of stuff up."

"I know. I know. It's just lawyers aren't cheap, bro." JJ says, shaking his head.

"As soon as they see the footage, they'll work for a comp." John B says.

"How do you know all of that?" Kiara asks, almost surprised about how much he knew.

"Cause my dad said it, like, a million times." he replies, looking up at Everleigh, who nods in agreement.

"Yeah, that's fair." She says simply as she swims back to the ladder.

"This tether is, like, really long. In the wrong weather, it could get pushed around." Pope informs everyone.

"Then we'll go at dead calm." John B suggests.

Kiara looks at Pope, "At slack tide?"

"So now, we just gotta wait around for the right weather." Pope says, looking at the sky.