Chapter Thirty-Eight

Shoupe leads them into a tent, sitting them in chairs.
Everleigh leans against JJ, who rests his head on hers.

After a half hour or so, Shoupe re-enters the tent. They haven't heard anything about John B. But the Pogues had come to the conclusion that John B had found Sarah, due to her never showing up.

"Did you find them?" Kiara asks. all of the Pogues immediately standing.

"No." Shoupe replies dully.

"So, they got away?" Everleigh smiles.

Shoupe sighs, "We, uh... we lost them."

Everleigh freezes. And the room starts to spin.

"I'm sorry." Shoupe finishes.

"You lost them?" Pope asks. "What do you mean you lost them? Like, they're gone? What are you talking about?" Pope stutters.

"They took an open boat into a tropical depression, Pope." Shoupe tries to explain.

Kiara frowns, "So, they're dead?"

Shoupe sighs, "We don't know."

"You drove them straight through the storm, man!" JJ yells his voice cracking.

Everleigh flinches, and it brings her back to reality.

"Are you kidding me? Come here! I'm gonna kill you!" He jumps after Shoupe, trying to get to him as best as he can, but another officer pulls him away.

"JJ, stop!" Kiara yells.

"I'm gonna kill you, you bastard! You killed him!" JJ yells.

He looks over at Everleigh, who looks seconds away from collapsing.

"He didn't kill anyone, and you know it!" Pope seethes in Shoupe's face.

"We're still looking for him, all right?" Shoupe tries to lighten the blow.

"Pope. Pope, just stop." Kiara begs, "Please, stop."

They hug and cry in each other's shoulders.

JJ finally breaks out of the officers grip, running to Everleigh, she holds her tightly.

She falls into his arms, wrapping her own around him.

They both cry with each other, sobbing.

Everleigh couldn't handle anything else. So much had happened in the past couple weeks, and it was all leaving her now. Her and JJ held each other tightly.

And Kiara's parents walk in.

JJ and Everleigh separate, trying to hold it together. They wanted to be in each other's arms, but it had to wait.

Kiara walks to her parents, embracing them in a hug.

Then Pope's family walks in, embracing him in a hug.

JJ and Everleigh stand and watch as the two teens cry with their families. They were holding hands, JJ drawing shapes while Everleigh just squeezed tightly.

They cried on their own, both with no family left. They were all each other had.

Heyward turns to JJ, and Mr. C turns to Everleigh. And both families open their arms to the teens, hugging them tightly.

JJ and Everleigh's hands remained linked as they cried with their friends families.

Kiara turns to Pope, and cries in his arms.

And Everleigh and JJ can't resist it any longer, and embrace in a tight hug, crying.

That night, they all slept at Kiara's. No one was willing to even go near the chateau. Everleigh couldn't sleep, but laid in JJ's arms all night.

Everything they did.

Everything they tried.

Led up to now.

And it ended up failing anyways.

Or did it?