Chapter Thirty-Six

They all sit in the car silently, and nervously. Everleigh still curled into JJ, JJ with an arm around Everleigh, the other fidgeting with the keys. And Kiara was driving carefully.

Everleigh decided to break the silence, "It'll be fine."

"It'll be fine with the Phantom." JJ agrees "She'll get out quick."

A bunch of cop cars drive by, JJ turns his head, and Everleigh ducks under the window.

If they were out for her brother, they'd surely be looking for her too.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa." JJ exclaims.

"They're still looking. It's a good sign." Kiara says hopefully.

They drive to an old garage.

When then get there, JJ opens the door and smiles, "There she be. Hey, girl." JJ talks to the boat.

He walks up to it, and runs a hand along the side, "A 1983 Formula 402 SR1. The Phantom."

"Wow." Was all Everleigh could manage to say.

"The first boat to make the run to Bermuda in under 16 hours, Kie. Forty years old! Forty." JJ explains.

"And still the fastest thing that Kildare's ever seen." Everleigh adds.

"It's kind of a junker." Kiara remarks, cringing.

"Really? She's right there, Kie. She can hear you. " JJ answers offended. "Let's just put it this way. You would not be smokin' weed right now if she never existed, okay?"

"I just hope it runs." Kiara says shrugging her shoulders.

"Oh, no, she'll run all right." JJ smiles.

Everleigh smiles at JJ, "She's faster than any cutters the boys in blue got."

Then a motorcycle can be heard entering. And the tires screech.

"Pope. Finally." Everleigh sighs, just to be met by Rafe on the other side.

"Hey, there. What's goin' on?" Rafe asks, "JJ?"

Everleigh steps towards JJ, who immediately grabs her hand as Rafe climbs onto the boat.

"How you guys doin'?" Rafe asks again.

"Whoo-hoo!" Barry whistles.

He clears his throat and steps infront of JJ.

"Well, well..." He sighs, then lifting a gun and pointing it directly at JJ's head. Cocking it. "See, don't think I forgot about me and you on the side of the road. I'm here because I want my motherfuckin' money." He yells, grabbing JJ, making them start wrestling.

"JJ! JJ!" Kiara screams as Rafe pulls her away, "Rafe!"

"That's what I'm here for!" Barry shouts, slamming JJ's head on the ground.

Everleigh runs to Barry, kicking him in the side.

"It's not you we want, Kie." Rafe says, before turning to see Everleigh kicking Barry.

He knocks Kiara over, then running over and picking Everleigh off the ground, pinning her to the wall.

"Where's John B at pretty girl?" Rafe asks her smirking.

"I don't know!" Everleigh slaps him.

Rafe looks over JJ, who is rolling on the ground, "Stay down, boy."

Everleigh looks over Rafe's shoulder, "JJ!" She screams, trying to fight Rafe's grip.

"I really wish you didn't do that." Rafe smiles at her, getting closer to her face.

"I know what you did." Everleigh says, thinking of anything at this point to help JJ.

Rafe chuckles, "What? What did I do?"

"You murdered Peterkin." Everleigh yells in his face.

He smile disappears, and the grip on her increases.

He grabs Everleigh by her throat, choking her.

Don't you ever say those fucking words again.

"Rafe!" She struggles, her breathing being stopped.

Rafe squeezes harder, "Understand? Do you understand? Where's John B?"

"Stay down, boy!" Barry yells at JJ, punching him in the face, then stomach, then throwing him to the ground.

"Where's John B?" Rafe yells again.

"I don't know!" Everleigh screams helplessly, her vision starting to get foggy.

"Where's John B? Huh?" Rafe continues to ask her.

"I don't know! I don't know!" Everleigh repeats over and over again.

Then Pope appears with a metal tube, bringing it down across Rafe's back, "Don't touch her!"

Pope swings again but misses. The two break out into a fight.

Everleigh kneels on the floor, trying to catch her breath.

"Rafe!" Barry yells, trying to get the gun from his side.

JJ trips him, and Everleigh stands up, her breathing now steadied.

The gun falls from Barry, "Kie! Kick it!" JJ yells, and she does just that.

JJ goes after Barry, throwing him against the side of the boat. Then knocking him to the ground.

Everleigh shoves JJ out of her way, kicking Barry in the head, shoulders, stomach, and face.

JJ watches in shock as the girl unleashes on him.

When he finally decides he had enough, JJ picks Everleigh up, pulling her away from him. Everleigh tries to get back at him, but JJ was too strong. They were distracted by Kiara screaming Pope's name.

"He's had enough, dude." JJ tells him. As him and Everleigh walk over next to Kiara.

"He's good." Kiara yells.

Pope finally stops, taking a breather. Everleigh wanted Pope to continue. Rafe put her through so much shit.

He grabs an old rope, wrapping it around Rafe's neck, choking him.

"Snap out of it, man." JJ yells him. "Snap out of it, dude!"

"Pope!" Kiara begs him.

"Stop, dude! Pope, that's too much!" JJ yells, "Dude, come on! Stop! Stop, dude!" JJ yells at him, pulling him away from Rafe.

Everleigh watched in silence.

JJ finally got Pope off of Rafe, and they all watch, trying to comprehend what Pope just did.

Kiara and JJ start the car, ready to put the boat in the water.

Everleigh and Pope look over Rafe.

Revenge came to Rafe, and all that was left, were the two people Rafe had jumped on the golf course.

"Stay off the cut." Pope mumbles to him,