Chapter Twenty

Everleigh had decided to wait, away from the group by herself. She sat, watching the ocean. Her and the ocean had some weird connection, which sounds absolutely ridiculous.

Then the thought of Rafe had come to her mind. How he was going to hit JJ, as hard as he could. But that wasn't even the worst of it. He had pinned Everleigh to the wall, and kissed her. In front of JJ.

A tear runs down her cheek and she sniffles. She hears footsteps approach, but she doesn't bother to turn around and see who it is.

"Everleigh?" The person asks. She knew immediately it was JJ.

"Hm?" She hums in reply.

He sits next to the girl, looking at her. "I'm sorry."

She looks up with puffy eyes, "For?"

"Letting Rafe do that to you." He starts.

Everleigh shakes her head stopping him. "No."

JJ's brows furrow in confusion, "No?"

"You didn't let anything happen, you were behind held back." She says, forcing a small smile.

JJ sighs, "Are you alright?"

Everleigh nods. She looks up at JJ, who had been looking at her the entire time.

A moment of silence passes, JJ and Everleigh locked eye contact. JJ put her hand softly to the girl's face, wiping a tear with his thumb. Everleigh closed her eyes at the feeling of his touch.

Both JJ and Everleigh leaned in, pressing their foreheads together. Another moment passes, before JJ readjusts, parting Everleigh's lips with his own.

This time was almost the same kiss. Compassion. No fight for control. The same fireworks in their stomachs.

"Ev? JJ? Lets go lovebirds." John B yells, breaking up the kiss.

"Shit." Everleigh whisper yells, "Do you think he saw us?"

JJ shakes his head, looking in the direction of John B's voice. "He's too far."

Everleigh smiles. They both stand up hand in hand, walking back to the Pogues.

Later that night, they were all in the old beat up volkswagen van.

Kiara was sat behind the drivers seat, Everleigh was laying across the side, her head on Kiara's thighs.
Pope was across from them, and JJ was next to Everleigh's ankles.

They pulled up to the Hawk's Nest, and everyone gets ready to move out.

"Yo, uh... so, uh, I think I'm gonna do this one by myself... tonight." John B says, turning around to look at the teens in the back.

"Really?" JJ asks.

"What?" John B fires back.

"Nothin' brother." JJ replies, sitting back.

"I don't want to spook Sarah with the peanut gallery." John B lies.

"I just don't understand why we're involving her at all." Kiara says, rolling her eyes at John B.

"Kie, we're not involving her, okay? It's... it's just, uh, like a... a business meeting... thing." John B excuses.

JJ starts making a sexual motion, making Everleigh and Pope laugh.

"Look, once we get what we need, we cut her loose, all right? Plus, we need the map." John B says, looking at Kiara.

"Promise me nothing's happening between you." Kiara asks.