Chapter Sixty-Seven

Pope insisted on driving. He was hyper and wouldn't stop hollering.

"Uh, Pope. You're driving pretty fast." Sarah says quietly.

Everleigh sits in the back on JJ's lap. His hand was caressing her thigh, his other wrapped around her back.

"Pope, last to judge, but I think you should slow down a little." JJ says.

"That would definitely delay our arrival to the cross." Pope says, shaking his head. "We gotta get there."

"Why did we let him drive again?" Kiara asks, looking around the back seats.

"Because I said I'd rip your ears off." Pope says with a smirk.

"He said he'd rip our ears off." Everleigh says, rolling her eyes.

"I was just joking about that, by the way." Pope says, looking backwards.

"That's a really funny joke." Kiara says with a nervous smile.

"Hey, how ya feeling, buddy?" John B asks, "How ya doing?"

"Uh, fantastic. I don't know what JJ's cousin gave me, but I am moving!" Pope says loudly.

"We couldn't tell." Kiara says sarcastically.

John B shakes his head, "Okay, we'll, uhm, you're going really fast right now."

"Yeah really fast." Pope says, turning and looking at the back.

"Pope, turn the hell around!" Everleigh shouts. "Look, I don't know if you noticed, but there's these giant oak trees along the road. They're like six inches off of the road."

Then Pope tries to pass the car infront of them, crossing the double yellow lines.

"You don't need to pass!" Kiara tells him, but he doesn't listen.

Pope swerves out of the way of an incoming car.

Everleigh screams, folding into a ball, making her side throb once again.

"What an asshole, right?" Pope asks Kiara, clueless of what he'd just done.

"He's going the speed limit!" Kiara snaps back.

"We're not gonna get to the cross if we're dead, Pope!" John B says, making Pope scoff.

"We're not gonna die. It's our divine right to get that cross." Pope says, looking back again.

"Pope, look forwards!" Everleigh yells.

"Pope, look at the road!" John B yells.

Pope spins out, losing all control over the truck and crashing it into a few trees.

JJ let's go of Everleigh out of instinct to protect his head.

When Pope hits a large tree, forcing him to a complete stop, Everleigh flies off of JJ and into the passenger seat. She falls to the floor of the car, clutching at her side and punching the ground.

"Is everyone okay?" John B asks quietly.

"I think so." Sarah replies weakly.

JJ sits up, "Never better." he groans. "Everleigh?"

"Oh, shit, yeah I'm totally fine, thank you for asking." She hisses.

JJ quickly opens the door and gets out, later helping Everleigh out.

"That is the last time you'd drive, Pope." JJ says as he holds Everleigh. "Are you alright, princess?"

Everleigh bites her knuckle, trying to get her mind off of the pain in her side. "I never want to get shot again."