Chapter Thirty-Five

The next morning, Everleigh woke up in The Wreck. Apparently she had fallen asleep in the car, and JJ carried her in to sleep on some tables next to him.

When she woke up, she found JJ looking out the window, she could tell he hadn't gotten much sleep.

He couldn't keep his eyes off of her, he caught himself watching her breathe again.

JJ sighs as Pope walks up next to him, "He's pinched for sure, man."

"No. They wouldn't still be patrolling if they caught him." Everleigh groans standing up.

"Let's hope." JJ agrees hopefully.

Everleigh walks over to JJ, embracing him in a hug, resting her head onto his chest.

"You know, we were in that car. They're probably looking for us, too." Kiara suggest shrugging her shoulders.

"Well, if we're gonna be outlaws, we might as well help John B." Pope adds.

"So, find him before they do?" Everleigh asks, backing off of JJ, linking her arm with his.

Pope grabs his keys, and heads towards the door.

"Pope?" JJ asks, watching him walk away.

"I'm gonna get gas for the boat." Pope mumbles.

"Hey, you be careful." Kiara tells Pope. "Okay?"

Pope ignores Kiara, looking at JJ and Everleigh, "Meet me at the dock at three. Don't be late."

He walks out, shutting the door behind him.

"Okay, what is your problem?" Kiara calls after him.

Everleigh attempts to follow them, but JJ steps infront of her, wanting to go out first, just to be careful.

They stand on the porch and watch as the two argue. Pope revs the engine a few times before speeding off.

Kiara makes her way back to going up the porch before all of their attention is turned to the sky. A helicopter flying low to the ground flies above them.

"Who is that?" JJ asks.

"Shit." Everleigh whispers.

JJ, Everleigh, and Kie all walk into the kitchen of the wreck, packing food for John B and Sarah.

"You sure he wasn't just being weird Pope?" JJ asks, packing a box.

"It wasn't really the kind of thing that needed interpretation." Kiara answers, pulling some food out of the cabinet.

Everleigh looks in the boxes and bites her bottom lip, "Is that gonna be enough food for them?"

"I mean, for a couple of weeks, and that's all they need, so..." JJ replies.

Kiara sighs, "Look, I think I actually hurt his feelings."

"Look, don't beat yourself up too much. He's completely changed his feels." JJ tries to be supportive.

They all make their way out of The Wreck, walking towards Kie's car, "The past 24 hours have been like Jekyll and Hyde." Everleigh adds.

"I hate to admit it, but I miss the old Pope. At least I knew what to expect from him." Kiara says, walking towards the drivers seat.

"Where you been?" Kiara's mom appears.

"Uh... I'm fine. I slept here." Kiara answers nervously.

JJ and Everleigh look up, watching uncomfortably.

"Well, we were up half the night, scared to death, lookin' for you. Were you even gonna tell us?" Kiara's mom starts to raise her voice.

JJ shuts the trunk, holding Everleigh's hand.