Chapter Thirty-One

If you decided to not read the previous chapter, all that happened was JJ and Everleigh doing 'the deed' and now JJ feels guilty.

That night, they had slept on the boat. JJ barely got any rest, and Everleigh was peacefully asleep the entire time.

JJ snuck away from Everleigh, driving the boat back to the chateau. Everleigh had awoken a while later, she jumped at first, looking at the water surrounding her.

She then turned to see JJ, steering the boat.

"Good morning." She smiles.

JJ looks at her for barely a second, "Morning." He replies with a dull tone.

Everleigh furrows her brows, but still stood up, needing to fix her balance for a second.

He still didn't look at her, and when she stood next to him, he didn't even bother touching her. He moved over. And JJ didn't talk the whole way home.

"You sure he got everything?" Kiara asks.

John B had spoiled the news that Ward had gotten to the gold, and taken it all.

"Every bar. The whole enchilada."

JJ was sat on the opposite side of Everleigh, staring at the floor, smoking. And Everleigh was curled up in a ball in the corner, only glancing at JJ every once in a while.

Everyone seemed to just ignore the hickeys on the two teens, it wasn't like they didn't know, it was obvious.

"Look, it's not like I expected a happy ending or some shit." John B groans, pulling the cast off of his arm.

"John B..." Kiara tries to warn John B.

"What, Kie?" He asks quickly, "It's a hairline fracture. Who cares?"

"You should care. Your arm's gonna be messed up for life." Kiara complains.

"It's fine. See?" John B tries to argue, wiggling his fingers.

Everleigh buries her head in her knees.

"Guys!" Pope pants, sprinting onto the dock. "Guys Oh! Oh! Oh, God. I ran all the way here."

"You all right?" John B asks.

"How was the interview, Pope?" JJ finally speaks up, in a sad, low voice.

"Don't ask." He says, still trying to catch his breath. [grunts]

"JB, Ev, Look, I'm sorry, dude." Pope apologizes. "About everything."

"It's fine." John B replies.

Everleigh lifts her head up, looking at Pope. JJ's head immediately turns away.

"But... but I don't have a lot of time, and... and I have information that is tactically relevant." Pope says, looking around at the group. "So, before I had my interview, my dad said he was going down to the private airstrip to cut palms for Cameron's big plane.
Because it was too heavy, it needed a longer landing strip to take off. So, I'm there sitting in my interview, thinking to myself, "Hm. Why would Cameron need a longer airstrip to take off? What could be so heavy to weigh it down?"

"Gold." JJ says, sitting up.

"That's right. Exactly." Pope smiles, flailing his arms in the air. "Guys, this is our chance, but it leaves tonight, and we have to go."

"Guys, we can't give up now." Kiara says standing up, then offering her hand to Everleigh, who takes it. And Kiara pulls her up.

"What's the plan, guys?" JJ asks, referring to the Routledge twins.