Chapter Seventy-Two

When they head the captain over the speaker system order all crew and passengers to the hull, they all smile at each other, knowing that anything could happen from this point on.

"They did it, they took the bridge." John B says to JJ.

"That's our boy." JJ agrees as him and John B quickly stand up and pull the vent out of the wall. "Once they're all in the hull, Ev and I will lock them inside."

"Kiara and I will find Sarah and get the lifeboat." John B adds, looking at Kiara who gives him a reassuring nod.

"We'll meet you, load up the cross and get outta here." Kiara says to Everleigh.

"Let's do it." Everleigh says, "Pogue style." Everleigh smiles, doing the Pogue handshake with John B.

"Let's roll." JJ says, climbing out the window.

John B pulls Everleigh up, helping her out the window to JJ, who then helps her to the ground.

Everleigh and JJ run down to the hull where everyone was supposed to meet. Everleigh watches as the crew begins to enter.

"Psst. How many?" JJ whispers to her. In reply, she holds up four fingers.

Two more guys walk in and JJ holds up six fingers, counting everyone in total.

Wheezie, Rose, and Rafe all enter, and the atmosphere changes, and Everleigh's stomach ties in a knot.

They see Rafe stop right in front of the door they were hiding behind, and they tuck against the wall, waiting for him to walk away.

They hear a loud bang and look at each other in confusion before deciding to ignore it.

"That's all of the crew." Everleigh whispers to JJ.

"Except Ward. We need Ward." JJ whispers back, making her shake her head.

"We can't wait." Everleigh whispers back, making him think the decision over.

A second or two passes before JJ finally gives in, and Everleigh runs in, pushing the door shut, making everyone inside the room start to yell. They all push at the door, but Everleigh and JJ push back. They had the timing advantage.

"JJ, I can't hold it much longer." Everleigh pants, her side starting to throb and sting once again.

JJ locks it and let's her fall into his arms.

"Check the other door!" A man on the inside yells, making Everleigh and JJ look at each other.

"Come on, babe. There's another door! There's another door!" JJ says, "Just one more, princess." JJ says, encouraging her to run with him.

She ran, trying to ignore the pain that was coming from her side. JJ gets to the door first, and Everleigh holds it shut as he locks it.

"Let's jack this thing." JJ smiles, helping a weak Everleigh down the ladder.

"Yep." Everleigh nods. "If I didn't try and lift this damn cross in the first place my side may not have been so bad."

"Or maybe next time don't get shot." JJ says, wrapping her arm around his shoulder and leading them through the ship.

Everleigh just shakes her head in reply, knowing that he was right.

"There she is." JJ smiles as he uncovers the golden cross, making Everleigh smile and sigh in relief. "Surf trip?"

Everleigh smiles and nods at him, leaning on the box that help the cross inside. "Surf trip, baby." She says, leaning over for a small kiss.

Then, the platform above them begins to open, revealing the sunlight, and Pope looking over the confidently.