Chapter Forty-Nine

Ever since they returned back to the chateau, Everleigh was in her room with the door locked. She had Kiara make sure that no one came in.

"Can I go in?" JJ asks quietly.

Kiara shakes her head. "She said she wanted no one in her room."

"I need to see her, Kie." JJ argues back quietly.

"Fine." Kiara says.

She stands up, and knocks on the door. "Everleigh?" Kiara calls.

Everleigh doesn't answer, her head buried in her pillow.

"Everleigh?" She calls again, knocking.

"What, Kie?" Everleigh mumbles.

Kiara sighs, "Someone wants to see you."

"Let them in." Everleigh sighs, sitting up.

JJ opens the door slowly, shutting it behind him. "Hi, princess."

Everleigh forces a smile, and stands up out of bed.

JJ speed walks over to her, thirsty for her touch.

He wraps his arms around her tightly. Her eyes were puffy and red. Mascara streaks were down her cheeks.

When Everleigh pulls her head away, she stands on her tippy toes, locking her lips with JJ's.

JJ leans into her, humming to the kiss. He puts a hand on the small of her back, the other cupping her face.

When they pull away, they hug each other for a little longer.

"I know you are probably not in the mood, but we need to go to John B's hearing." JJ mumbles to her, tilting her head upwards, forcing her to loon him in the eye.

A frown spreads across her face, and she rests her head on JJ's chest.

That afternoon, she finally left her room, close to JJ's side.

And they drove to the courtroom.

"John Booker Routledge, pursuant to the North Carolina statute section fourteen, you are charged with murder in the first degree with aggravated circumstances." The judge says, "If convicted, the maximum sentence would be the death penalty."

Everleigh's eyes full with tears again and the room starts to spin. She grabs her wrist, squeezing it tightly.

JJ notices almost instantly, putting his hand between her hand and her wrist, drawing shapes on the top of her hand.

JJ tenses, and he looks around for anyone to do anything.

"Your Honor, he's seventeen!" JJ yells, standing up, pulling Everleigh with him.

"He's seventeen, are you kidding me?" Everleigh sobs, holding JJ's hand tightly.

"Hey, John B, we're gonna figure it out man." JJ says, trying to reassure everyone.

Everleigh let's go of JJ, trying to run to her brother. An officer stops her, shoving her to the ground.

JJ steps forward helping Everleigh to her feet. "Dont fucking touch her, man!"

Everleigh walks back with JJ, the rest of the group following them outside.

"Justice is served." A woman says as they exit the building.

"He had it coming." Another man agrees.

"Is this a joke?" Kiara asks, "Like are we in hell?"

"I should've never come home." Sarah says sadly.