Chapter Twenty-One

The next day, the Pogues were at The Wreck.

Everleigh's atmosphere was uncomfortable and awkward.

Kiara's dad turned down taking Everleigh in and adopting her. Which left Everleigh still on the run from DCS.

John B had already dropped his stuff off with his new family, in his new home.

"I'm sorry. You're staying where?" Kiara asks John B.

"Tannyhill." He says nervously.

"So you're living with Sarah Cameron." Kiara says, rolling her eyes.

"Okay, look, the only reason I'm living there is because her dad bailed me out, right?" John B states, "And it's way better than foster care, which, by the way, is where I was about to go and where Everleigh is going because she ran before she gave an answer."

"I'd rather go to foster care than the kookiest kook of them all's house." Everleigh says. "Honestly it's none of your business what I do, because DCS won't find me."

"Hey John B, so do you have a membership to the clubs now?" Pope asks, preventing Everleigh from saying anything else.

"I don't know, Pope." John B says, shrugging his shoulders.

"What about those golf carts they drive around? You get one of them?" JJ says, taking a drink out of Kiara's hand.

"Ooh, and what about those fancy golf courses, do you get access to them?" Everleigh asks.

"Does it come with a sweater-vest, or do you have to buy one on your own?" Pope adds.

"Look, you promised. You said you weren't with her." Kiara says, looking at John B.

"Bro, just own it." JJ starts,

"She got you." Everleigh says, throwing a hand in the air.

"Look, if you wanna hang out with her, that's fine. But I'm letting you know now that I'm not doing anything with Sarah." Kiara complains.

"Do you guys see her here?" John B asks quickly.

"No..." Pope answers quietly.

"Right. Okay. A little focus would be fantastic.
We've got the map, right?" John B says, changing the topic.

"It's out of whack 'cause the guy was ganja'd when he drew it." JJ says, leaning on the back of Everleigh's chair.

"It's 'cause the coast has changed." Kiara says bluntly.

"So we just have to look for landmarks that haven't changed." Pope says.

"What about the old forts?" John B asks.

"Battery Jasper." Everleigh says, pointing to it on the map.

The Pogues all looked at each other before running to the van. JJ pulled Everleigh onto his lap in the back. He gave her discreet kisses on her cheek, head, and neck as they drove.

"We're in Battery, right here." Pope says, tracing his finger along the map. "So if this is parcel nine, then it's somewhere northeast of here."

"Somehwere there." Kiara says, pointing ahead of them.

"Right." Pope says, agreeing with Kiara.

"Over there? Guy's, that's not Tannyhill, that's a subdivision." JJ says, trying to correct Pope and Kiara.

"Tannyhill Plantation was the entire island. It got sold into smaller pieces over time." John B says.

"So we're just looking for an old stone wall." Pope says, causing them to all get into the van again.