Chapter Thirty-Three

She limped to an old shed, a place she used to run to as a kid, and a faint bruise appears from Rafe slapping her, and a few bruises appear onto her stomach.

When she makes it to the shed, she notices Kiara's car, and runs to it as fast as she can. She jumps inside, groaning at the pain.

JJ immediately shoots up at the girl, who was now sat on the floor of the back.

JJ jumps over the middle console to her. And puts his arms up into the air to hug her.

She flinches so hard, that her body curls up into a ball.

"Everleigh?" JJ asks.

Everleigh looks up at him, revealing the light bruise that was across her face. He touches it softly, just as he did after she'd been hit with the golf club.

"Who did this to you?" He seethes, making John B turn around, and Kiara and Pope to look down at her.

Everleigh sighs, "Why do you care?"

JJ clenches his jaw, and John B speaks up, "Everleigh what the hell happened."

Everleigh looks up at him, "Nothing." She lies.

JJ holds her shoulders, turning her towards him.

His eyes were so controlling over her. She froze, staring into his eyes.

"Everleigh Rose Maybank," He says, making Everleigh gasp quietly. "Who the hell did this to you?"

She looks into his eyes for a few seconds more, "Rafe." She whispers so quietly that anyone can barely hear.

JJ pulls her into a hug, tight and warm. She cries into his shoulder.

"Where did he hit you?" He asks quietly.

Everleigh points to the front seat, telling him to sit there. She sits back between Pope and Kiara in the seat. And all eyes were on her.

She bit her bottom lip, slowly raising her shirt to reveal a series of bruises that were on her stomach.

"Pretty gnarly, huh?" She tries to joke. But everyone's eyes are threatening to spill tears.

A police car drives by, and everyone jolts down to hide.

"And still, no arrest in the shooting death of Sheriff Susan Peterkin." The radio says, "The state police have issued a statement regarding a local person of interest, - a juvenile from..."

Everleigh sits up, hissing in pain, but turns off the radio. Finally the attention was off of her.

"Let's game this out." JJ says. "Maybe you guys can help, being the smart ones and all, but" He sighs, "who are the cops going to believe? Ward Cameron or us?"

"So the accuser is a bigshot developer, kind of lord of the island, got the governor on speed dial kind of person, and the accused... is John B, who is... pretty much a homeless 16-year-old boy at the moment." Everleigh says, reasoning.

"Thanks." John B smiles sarcastically.

"Okay, man. Yucatan, all right? I'm saying that's the only option. What other option do you have?" JJ says smiling.

"Enough with the Mexico bullshit." John B stops JJ, "Sarah will bail me out."

"She did witness the whole thing." Kiara chimes in.

"Thank you." John B agrees.

JJ scoffs, "And she's gonna snitch on her brother? Not happening, bro. Okay? We've gotta get you off the island."