Chapter Sixty-One

John B was driving, Everleigh and JJ in the passenger seat. Everyone else was in the back.

Everleigh was on JJ's lap, but she kept shifting because everytime she found a new position, it would hurt in a matter of minutes.

JJ places his hands on either of Everleigh's thighs, making her stop moving. He leans into her ear and whispers, "Stop moving, princess. You're getting yourself into something you might not be able to finish."

Butterflies fill her stomach, making her lay back on JJ's chest with bright red cheeks and her lips tugged into a smile.

They drive forwards until they reach an area that is being flooded due to the rising tide.

"Woah, wait. They already came through here." Pope says, pointing out the tire tracks in the mud. "Those have to be Limbrey's tire tracks. Guys we gotta go."

"Mm, what do you think chief?" JJ asks John B, hesitant on pushing the Twinkie through the thick mud.

John B nods nervously, "I'm thinking it's looking a little dicey."

"Not too sure about this." Everleigh chimes in. "Big risk."

"Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with both of those statements." JJ says, looki between John B, Everleigh, and the path ahead of them.

"Okay, we'll clearly they made it." Kiara points out.

"In a two-wheel drive? I don't know about that." JJ says shaking his head.

"I don't know if our old girl here could get through." Everleigh says, hitting the side of the van. "Could be the wrong move."

"Why are y'all acting like you're not gonna do it anyways?" Sarah asks, looking at the three most adventurous Pogues in the front seats. "Like when have y'all ever done the safe thing?"

John B looks at JJ and Everleigh, who shrug their shoulders, admitting she was right.

They sit up, preparing for anything that might come their way.

"Alright speed is your friend here, okay?" JJ says, wrapping a protective arm around Everleigh, careful to not touch the wounded side.

"Let's just zip on through here." Everleigh adds, "Keep your foot on the gas pedal."

"So, put her down in second and hammer down brother." JJ says, agreeing with Everleigh.

"Stick to the high ground in the middle." Pope comments, looking through the windshield.

"Here we go." John B says, stepping on the pedal, making them jolt forwards.

"Step on it, John B." Everleigh says, carefully watching the road.

"Speed is your friend." JJ repeats, "You're not going fast enough."

"I'm in second." John B snaps back, repeating what JJ had told him to do earlier.

"It's gonna slide." Kiara says, watching the mud fly around them.

"Kie, look, we got this." Everleigh smiles confidently.

The ride was bumpy, but JJ held Everleigh tightly to him, lessening the pain that was in her side.

"You're fishtailing already." JJ tells John B.

"Alright, not to put pressure on you." Pope starts, peeping his head between the two front seats. "If you don't make it through, we're gonna be stuck here."

John B pushes Pope's head back, telling him to sit back and stop distracting them.

When they finally make it through they all cheer.