Chapter Sixty

Everleigh woke up the next morning with JJ sitting awake at her side holding her hand. She looked down at her side which was bandaged. She had dried blood down her leg and surrounding the bandage.

She sits up quickly, hissing at he pain.

"Woah, slow down." JJ says, putting a hand on her thigh.

"What happened?" Everleigh asks, squinting at the sunlight coming through the room.

"You were shot by..." JJ starts.

Everleigh shakes her head, "No, I know what happened, I mean after that."

"You passed out." He replies, "You probably should've gotten stitches but we didn't know what we would tell the doctors so we decided against it."

She nods and stands up with the help of JJ, "Did you sleep?"

He shakes his head no and helps her out of the room.

When she gets out, the Pogues all sit up quickly.

"Hey guys." She says with a smile. "I know I'm hot but there's no need to stare." She jokes, making everyone scoff.

"Of course, Everleigh making a joke when she got shot last night and didn't wake up until this morning." Pope says.

"Couldn't be anyone else." Everleigh says, winking at Pope and slowly sitting on the couch, "Hurts like a bitch."

They talk for a while until they are interrupted by Sarah entering.

A smile appears on Everleigh's face, but then remembers Sarah probably wouldn't want to talk to her after she stood up for John B.

"Well hello, princess." JJ says as she walks in.

"Hey, that's my name, she can't have it." Everleigh says with a fake pout making JJ smirk at her.

"What's up?" Kiara asks her.

"Shouldn't you be on Figure Eight with your little group of polo players?" John B asks. "Or did you break up with Topper?"

"We're just friends." Sarah replies.

"He's just a friend." John B repeats her, "You have a lot of friends, Sarah Cameron."

"Yeah, and it seems like you've got some of your own too." Sarah fires back, referring to the girl from geometry class.

"Alright, what are you doing here?" John B asks, sitting up.

"John, can you just... be nice...  for once?" Everleigh asks rolling her eyes.

"So now you want to stand up for me?" Sarah asks.

Everleigh laughs to herself, "Topper did start it."

"Whatever." Sarah says, looking away and turning to Pope, "I'm here for Pope."

Pope looks up at her in confusion.

"I think I found the island room." She says, smiling at him.

They all look at her, ready to run out the door and follow her.

JJ helps Everleigh up and out to the Twinkie, across from where he was going to sit.

"Thank you." She says, forcing a smile at him.

JJ nods and kisses her, making her blush and sit back, putting a hand on the wound.

"So, what happened to you, Everleigh?" Sarah asks.

"Long story short, I was shot with a bow and arrow." Everleigh says with a wide smile.

Sarah just nods, deciding it was probably dumb to ask any questions.