Chapter Forty-Seven

When Pope and Kiara finally showed back up the next morning they all ran down the dock, eager to leave.

"Finally!" JJ shouts, leading Everleigh down the dock. "Guys don't tie up. Stop it."

"What?" Kiara asks.

"We're dipping." JJ says.

"Wait why?" Pope asks.

Pope and Kiara notice Everleigh's arm, and Sarah being basically carried by John B.

"What the hell happened?" Kiara asks, helping Everleigh onto the boat.

"We slept on the break." Pope says.

"Slept, right, okay." JJ says, patting Pope on the shoulder. "We... we're up all night."

"We have to get the hell out of here." Everleigh says, sitting on the front of the boat.

"Rafe knows we're here. So we have to leave, like, now." Sarah says.

"He shot me." Everleigh says quietly, making Pope and Kiara's jaw drop.

They drive through the marsh, going back to the break.

"If Rafe and Barry know, it's only a matter of time." Sarah sighs.

"Before everyone knows." Pope says, finishing her sentence.

"I told you." JJ chuckles nervously. "We should've just gone south man."

"Just stop it." John B says, trying to calm JJ down.

"Why does no one ever listen?" JJ yells, making Everleigh flinch.

"I get it." John B says, "I understand."

"I have an idea." Sarah speaks up. "With me back, my dad's going to have to choose between me and Rafe. He's gonna choose me."

"Just please listen. Ward keeps lying to you Sarah." John B says, pointing pretty much begging Sarah not to go.

"Sorry but he won't agree after everything that's happened." Kiara adds.

"I know it sounds crazy." Sarah tries to say.

"It does." Kiara interrupts her.

"I know!" Sarah says, raising her voice. "But he's my dad, and I know him, and I know he loves me. I'm just asking for two hours."

JJ scoffs and shakes his head. He throws his arms in the air in frustration.

"I'll go too." Everleigh mumbles.

JJ turns around quickly, "You aren't going." JJ seethes.

"If I go, and Rafe's there, he'll be distracted by me. And he'll know he hurt me. And it'll give you all enough time to get work done." Everleigh explains.

"I'm not letting you do that." JJ argues back. "You aren't just throwing yourself in his arms again. Everleigh, he hit you, not once, but multiple times and I won't let it happen again."

"Look, I'm sorry JJ, but it's the only way." Everleigh says.

"Everleigh Rose Maybank, I swear to God, stop arguing with me, you aren't going." JJ shouts.

Everleigh stands up in frustration, pulling Sarah with her, "We're going."

"Everleigh." John B calls them, following them.

"You aren't stopping me either." Everleigh says, rolling her eyes.

John B pulls her into a hug, squeezing her tightly. "Be careful." He whispers.