Welcome Home

Quickly before you start reading, trigger warning for rape. If you are sensitive to this topic, I recommend you skip this chapter <3

Sams POV

My mind wandered as I sat next to Atlas in my living room. She looked up from her textbook and caught me staring at her and chuckled "you okay?"

I nodded. I've had questions for Atlas I've been meaning to ask for a while, but never found the right time. I slowly prepared my words as I watched her scribble words down. "Atlas.. aren't your parents wondering where you are?" I suddenly blurted out. She's been with me for the past few days never going home. She looked up at me, seemingly surprised at the question.

She shrugged. "My mom couldn't care less as you probably noticed by now. Never met my dad." she didn't elaborate about her mother, but I decided not to push her about it. "But I do need to go back soon so I could get out of your hair." A small frown slowly forming on her lips. I placed my hand on her arm. "You're not in my hair, you could stay if you really want to." I smiled. Her face softened before she turned away from me.
"I think I should still go back home, I'll come over some nights with you ofcourse. But I feel like I've left my mom alone for too long. I don't want anything to happen ag-" She cut herself off.

"Nevermind. Can you drop me home tomorrow please?" She smiled at me. I nodded. "Well since you're leaving, I'll give you my phone number so we can still talk to each other." I said as I put my number in her phone.
"What were you going to say?" I asked, noticing her sudden end to the sentence. She glanced at me then quickly looked away and shrugged. "Nothing."
.
.
.
I hate Sundays.

My thoughts were interrupted as I saw Atlas appear out of the corner of my eye. You ready to leave? She nodded and silently walked to the car, she was quieter than usual and it slightly confused me. As we sat in the car and began driving, I put her address into my phone so I knew where I was going. She hadn't said anything since we got in here. "Are you okay?" I asked, breaking the silence. There was no response so I broke my focus from the road to glance over at Atlas and she was leaned against the window, fighting to hold back tears.

"Oh no, babe what's wrong?" I asked, as I looked back to the road and back to her, trying to find her hand to hold. She sniffled. "Nothing, nothing don't worry about it." She said as she looked out the window and readjusted herself in the seat, quickly wiping her eyes.

"No, tell me. I'm here for you okay?" I said as we approached her home. She lived in a tiny neighborhood and from what I heard it's a bad one too. I found a spot to park and parked the car, just a few feet away from her house. I turned towards her.

"I really don't wanna go in there." She said, regaining her composure. "My mom isn't exactly the best mother Sam. But I have to protect her." Atlas says once more, I don't understand what she means by that.

"What.. or who do you have to protect her from?" I cautiously asked. She stayed silent. "It doesnt matter." She said as she grabbed her phone and bag and opened the car door. "I'll text you okay?" She tried to smile, her eyes still cloudy and slightly red from her tears.

I nodded as she closed the car door and walked into her house. Little did I know, I made a horrible mistake driving away.

Atlas POV

My hands shook as I entered my house. Not knowing what state I would find my mother in, I cautiously checked the rooms in the house for her. I approached her bedroom and the door was wide open. I already knew that he was probably in the house at one point because the lock on the door was broken.

I found my mom on her bed, she was wrapped up in her blanket passed out. She's drunk, as always. I knew because of the wave of bottles that surrounded her nightstand. I walked up to her and she reeked of alcohol. I didn't know if it was her or the bottles. I frowned as I noticed dried tears on her face and bruises as well.