well fuck

I was awoken by a loud sound, like something falling on the floor. My eyes shot open only to be greeted with little light, it was still dark but not dark to the point where I couldn't see anything. I nearly jumped out of my skin when I saw a figure standing in the corner of the room.

"Sam?!" I called out, noticing that my lover was no longer laying next to me. With the click of a button I could see everything clearly. I squinted from the brightness of the lamp. Sam removed her hand from the lamp sitting on her desk and looked over at me.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you up." She said before bending down to pick up the pencils and pens that had fallen on the floor. After picking them up she took a pencil sharpener out of her pocket and grouped it with the pens and pencils. I rubbed my eyes and looked over at the time.

"What're you doing up? It's 5 am." I groaned and sat up. Sam turned the lamp off and walked over to the bed, sitting down.

"I just couldn't sleep, I was looking for my sleep inhaler but I couldn't find it." Sam said dryly, she laid back down in bed with her back facing me.

"You okay?" I asked, scooting closer until I was spooning her.

"Mhm." Sam hummed. It was unusual for her to be so short and dry with me, even I could tell in my half asleep state.

"Don't lie to me Sammy." I sighed as I wrapped my arm around her stomach. She stayed silent, until I heard a whimper escape her which made my alarms start to go off.

"Baby? Are you crying?" I frowned.

"Im such a failure. I'm sorry." She whispered, barely loud enough for me to hear. I furrowed my eyes brows, confusion washing over me as I leaned over to turn the lamp on my bedside table on. I turned back to Sam and she turned to face me. I cupped her face in my hands and used my thumb to wipe her tears.

"Why would you think that? I certainly don't."

Sam frowned and avoided eye contact. "My application got denied. I feel like such a fucking failure."

"The application to work at the pet store?"

Sam nodded. I stared at her in slight confusion, where was all this coming from? Does she really believe that?

"You're not a failure Sam, you're far from it." I said while looking at her and holding her face. She sighed and left my grip, turning her back to me once more.

"I just wanna go back to sleep." Sam mumbled.

I watched as she pulled the cover over her head and settled. I frowned and turned the light off and drifted back to sleep.

.
.
.

"What're you going to do?" I asked Sam as I sat at the kitchen table checking my emails, I stumbled across one from the pet store I applied at and it said I got the job. I frowned and put my phone down, not wanting to tell Sam just yet.

Sam shrugged and joined me in sitting at the kitchen table, gently rubbing her hand on her left thigh. She has barely spoken a word to me since this morning, I don't know what's going on with her but I'm a little worried.

"You okay Sam?" I asked as I placed my hand on my hers. Sam looked at me and forced a smile.

"Yeah, I'm okay." She said before getting up.

"I'm tired though, so I'm gonna go lay down for a bit." Sam said while walking to the bedroom. I sighed and thought about what to do to make her feel better, or make myself feel better about not being able to make her feel better.

Mylo. Ever since Sam spoke to that jackass she's been depressed. I gotta go talk to him to find out what he did to her and find out what Sam couldn't tell me.

I threw some clothes on and checked on Sam, she was asleep so I took the car and headed to the club. It was pretty early but I checked and the club was already open. When I walked in I looked for him and he was at his station wiping down the tables. We made eye contact and he pretended not to see me. I approached him anyway.

"What're you doing here?" He asked, his back turned  as he moved onto wiping down his working area.

"What the hell did you say to Sam? She's really fucking upset." I said trying to contain my anger.

Mylo glanced at me and then back to what he was doing. "My sister is a lot of things. One thing she is not, is rational. My parents were pretty harsh to her but she won't let it go and blows everything way out of proportion. I simply reiterated those things to her and well." Mylo said turning around to face me.

"She didn't take it well, obviously." He said, smirking.

The smirk runs in the family but instead of it being hot on him, it's fucking annoying.

"You're a prick Mylo, you have no idea what she's gone through." I said, trying not to reveal too much to him but also trying to get my point across.

"She's told you?" Mylo questioned, his face dropping

"Told me what exactly?" I asked, not sure what he was referring to.

"Just about anything. I always ask her what exactly our parents did that was so bad but she could never tell me, which proves that she's just being dramatic."

"She's not being fucking dramatic, she just doesn't trust you enough to tell you what happened." I snapped. "And you're going to stop talking about her like she's crazy because she isn't."

Mylo stared at me for a minute before sighing and turning around so his back was facing me. He said nothing leaving us in a suffocating silence, even the music playing in the background seemed to go quiet.

"Apologize to her Mylo." I said, breaking the silence.

He laughed dryly. "Hell no. I've said nothing wrong."

"Do I need to drag you back to her house to see how much you've affected her?" I raised my voice slightly.

Mylo stood in silence.

"Please. She needs to hear it from you, any bit of kindness. Anything. I just want her to feel better." I pleaded. Mylo slowly looked at me and rolled his eyes.

"I don't get off until 2." Mylo said.

"I'll come back for you then." I said before getting up and leaving, not giving him a chance to argue.

I drove home and checked on Sam once more, she wasn't in bed anymore and I was confused until I heard the shower running. I knocked on the bathroom door before going in.

"Atlas?" I heard Sam call out quietly.

"Mhm, can I come in?"

"Yeah." She replied. I opened the door and walked in, closing it behind me. Sam was in the shower with her back facing me. She was running her hands through her hair.

"I uh." I started, thinking about how to tell her that I invited her estranged brother to her house.. well forced him basically. Sam hummed, encouraging me to keep talking. She turned the shower off and grabbed her towel before stepping out.

"Mylo is coming over." I blurted out and glanced at her. She paused what she was doing and turned to me.

"Atlas what did you do?!" She said, an alarmed expression on her face.

Well fuck.