~rules~ chapter 21

Asher's POV

Rules? But I was good, mummy and daddy always say that I'm a good boy. Did they change their minds? Am I not their good boy anymore? I felt tears push past my eyes and heard the sobs before even realizing that it was me crying.

"Oh, bug no. What's wrong, babe?" Mama asked me and he hugged me close to his body. I felt the couch dip and looked over with tear filled eyes to see daddy sitting next to us. He brought his hand up and attempted to wipe the tears as they fell down my cheeks.

"Did bwad?" I asked them. I still had my binkie in my mouth so my words came out all slurred and mumbled.

"Of course not, sweetheart." Daddy told me with a sad look on his face. "We don't have rules because you're bad, hun. They're just there so you stay the best boy you can be. They also tell mama and dada what we can and can't do." He explained and I felt mama start bouncing me in his lap.

"Bu' mama an' dada can do anyfing. Yous in charge." I said because it just didn't make sense. Alpha always did what he wanted to me. He owned me and I had no say in what happened, that's how it's supposed to be. That's how pups are treated.

"Love, you have just as many rights as we do in this family and we will keep telling you that until it makes sense. Yes, you have rules but so do we and you get to help us make them. You also get a say in punishments. Mama and dada will respect whatever limits you may have." Mama said softly, craning his neck so he could kiss my cheek. I pushed myself closer to his warmth.

"We dos now?" I asked.

"The sooner the better, sweet boy." Mama smiled down at me and scooted closer to daddy on the couch.

"Otay." Mama turned me around on his lap so I was facing daddy and held an arm securly around my chest so I didn't fall. Mummy was so nice to me!

"What are some rules you have for mummy and daddy, bug?" A confused look crossed my face, the only rule I could think of was that they shouldn't be like Alpha. I knew it wasn't very realistic but I could at least try.

"No be wike Awpha." I whispered and saw mama and dada share a gloomy look.

"That's a very smart rule, little one." Dada told me as he starred down at me. "Could you possibly be more specific for us? Maybe something he did or said that we should never say or do?" He asked and I thought for a second, there were a few things.

"Awpha a'ways call Awshie usewess. Said pups were bad and Awshie didn' desewve to be t'ere." I said sadly, cuddling close to my mama in a way to seek some more comfort. Mama understood as he started rocking me gently.

"I'm so proud of you, bug. You are such a lovely boy to tell us something like that and for following instructions, such a good boy." Mama said softly and bent his head to leave a kiss to my hair. "So maybe a rule stating that mama and dada should only use our rules to support you? No mean comments or actions and if we're mad we'll walk away from the situation and come back when we calm down so we don't accidentally say something harmful. How does that sound, babe?"

That sounded so much better than what I was expecting. Mama was thinking about me and how I would feel in situations and I can't even describe how amazing that makes me feel. "Good mama." I said because I couldn't really say much else at the moment.

"Anything else you can think of, sweetheart?" Dada asked me calmly.

I hesitated and waited a while to say what was on my mind. "Pwotect Awshie, p'ease." I said as I curled up on mama's lap causing him to move his arms out of the way so I could twist my body into a tight ball. Just those three words made me feel more vulnerable than I had in a long, long time. As a pup I always felt like I didn't deserve protection or help from people but I was starting to understand that I had people now to give me those things and all I had to do was ask for it.

That realization didn't make things any easier though.

"That is one of the best rules you could ever come up with, sweet boy. Mama and dada will protect you from anything in this world, whether it's your old pack or just day to day things that may scare you." Daddy told me but I just had one more question left.

"Can I's ask a question dada?" I looked up at him warily.

"Of course, darling boy. Go ahead." He encouraged me.

"What 'bout my old pack? An', an' Awpha? W-wha' happen now?" I asked quickly. After the first question the rest easily tumbled out with it.

"Well love, you need to know that you'll never be going back to that house again. You wont have to see those people or your Alpha as long as your mama and I have a say in it. You'll live with us now, meet new people, make a family here with mummy and daddy. You'll have the best life we can offer." Daddy soothed me by bringing his hand up to stroke my cheek. Everything he just said sounded amazing and I wanted it all.

"Do you know the name of your old pack, hun?" Mama asked me, breaking me from my thoughts.

"Umm, I hweard Awpha say Dwark moon a few times, but I's could be wrong." I mumbled as I looked back down to my hands. I really didn't like talking about this stuff.

"You're so smart, baby. Remembering things for mama and dada like a good pup, huh?" Daddy asked me, lifting my head with his pointer finger so I was back at his eye level. I nodded my head slowly and dada smiled. "Thank you for telling us all of this, love. Mama and dada will take care of everything now." He said and I felt mama nod his head too.

Mummy hugged me close to his chest again and I melted in his hold, feeling lighter now that mama and dada cleared some of my heavy worries. Now I could just enjoy my time with my parents and finally be the pup I've always wanted to be.

-

a/n - hey guys! Thank you all so much for reading! Don't forget to vote, follow, and comment what you think of the chapter :)