~more than life itself~ chapter 33

Oliver's POV

"So, how've things been for you? I know from experience that it can't be too easy with a new pup still adjusting." After Kingston and Michael took the pups upstairs Steve and I brewed some tea and got comfortable on the couch, preparing for a long vent style conversation. I've known him for a long time and other than Kingston he's one of the only people I trust to talk with.

"We were doing good for the first few days and then I think things started to sink in a little more for me." I replied quietly, looking down at my hands.

"I understand." Steve inhaled deeply and continued. "When we got Sarah it was hard to think about what she'd gone through and how she'd never been loved in the proper way a pup should be." The way he was talking about Sarah matched my exact feelings to my own pup.

"That's how I feel with Asher. I wasn't there to save him, Steve. I failed at my job and I let him go through so much pain that could've been avoided." I could feel the tears gathering in the corners of my eyes but I wiped them away, refusing to cry about this again.

"But, instead of thinking of all the time she spent without us I tried to make it up. I looked at the bright side and thought of how lucky I was to have her now. Michael and I became the best daddy and papa we could for her to make up for what we missed." Kingston's been telling me that for days but I just can't see it like that.

"Hun, pups are some of the most kind, forgiving, and compassionate creatures we have the pleasure to live amongst on this earth. Do you see the way your baby boy looks at you? When he sees his mama he's not thinking of the time you didn't spend together, he's thinking of how amazing you are for saving him. That's the amazing thing about our pups, they love us no matter what we didn't do and they always will." When Michael finished talking he pulled me in for a hug and started running his hand up and down my back. I felt an odd sense of comfort knowing of what Steve had just said.

My baby boy loves me.

"Thanks for always being there, Stevie." I said softly into his shoulder. He hummed and carried on the longing embrace. This talk was exactly what I needed and now all I wanted was to see my pup.

"Daddy, come wook at my dwawing." I pulled back from Steve and we turned our heads, seeing Michael walking down the stairs with a grinning Sarah on his hip. She was flinging around a piece of paper and all I could see was a whole lot of glitter. Goddess, that playroom is going to be an absolute mess.

"I'll be right there, sweetie." Steve replied and looked down at me, concerned. "Are you gonna be alright?" I gave him a gentle smile and nodded.

"Yeah, I feel a lot better now." I assume he was pleased with my response because he soon got up off the couch and walked towards his awaiting daughter.

"Do you guys know where Kingston and Asher are?" I asked to mainly Michael but directed the question towards Sarah as well.

"Awshie hads to gets his diapy chwanged wike mes." She said pointing to herself and I couldn't help but release a low chuckle.

"Thanks, love. I'm gonna go check up on them. We'll be back down in a few." I quickly made my way upstairs and I opened the door to Asher's nursery just as Kingston turned around. He was holding Asher, who was wrapped up in his little blanket, against his chest and rocking him gently back and forth.

"Hey, my love. We were just about to come see you. Weren't we, sweetheart?" My pup hummed against his daddy's broad chest.

"Hun, is he alright?" Asher hasn't been this quiet in a while so it was making me slightly worried, especially after he just had playtime.

"He's okay now." I raised an eyebrow at him. "I forgot to check his diaper while he was playing with Sarah and now he has a little diaper rash. It's okay though, he just got a bit fussy." That explains it, my baby must've been hurting.

"Oh, bug. I'm sorry, mama will be in charge of your diapy for now on, alright?" I ran my fingers through his hair that had gone loose and noticed his eyes start to slowly fall closed.

"Why don't we go say goodbye to your friend and then we'll put you down for a nap, huh?" Kingston asked him, switching his rocking to bouncing as to keep him awake for a little while longer.

"Nu, tiwred dada." Asher brought his hands up and clenched them, rubbing at his eyes.

"I know, darling. But don't you wanna say bye bye to Sarah?" King reasoned with our pup and he nodded weakly. "It'll be quick, honey." With that, Kingston started his walk downstairs to the living room, being gentle as to not jostle Asher too much.

"Hey there sleepy head." Steve cooed when we met them at the bottom of the stairs. He was holding a half asleep Sarah as well.

"We need to get him down for a nap. Sorry the playdate got cut short, sweetie." I told Sarah and she blinked up at me tiredly.

"Well, we'll be getting on our way. Say bye bye, love." Michael said to Kingston and Sarah slowly lifted her arm, waving to Asher.

"Bwye bwye, Awshie. Wove yous." She mumbled and even though Asher looked dead to the world he returned the gesture with his own soft 'wove yous too' making everyone in the room give them heart eyes.

"Bye guys!" I called out, shutting the door behind them as they left.

"Why don't you take him, babe? He probably needs some milk." King explained, handing Asher over and I gladly excepted.

"Nu." Asher whimpered out and I immediately began to soothe my pup.

"Hey, hey. It's alright, sweet boy. Almost there." I told him, rubbing his little tummy through the blanket while cradling him in one of my arms. "I've got you, bug." I leaned down and kissed his forehead delicately as we walked up the stairs.

"Here you go, hun." I said in a hushed tone as I sat us down on his rocking chair and carefully stripped my sweater from my chest, offering him one of my nipples. He lazily suckled away while I rocked him back and forth. We stayed like that for a few moments until the door opened revealing Kinston. He came and sat down next to me, wrapping his arms around me and pulling me into his side.

"I love you so much, baby." I told King as I nuzzled my head onto his shoulder and switched our pup to the opposite nipple. "I don't know what I would ever do without you." He smiled down at me, kissing my lips.

"You know you'll never have to figure that out." He placed one final peck to my lips. "I love you and our beautiful baby boy more than life itself."

-

a/n - hey guys! Thank you all so much for reading! Don't forget to vote, follow, and comment what you think of the chapter :)