Returning to Downton

Once they were a safe distance away from the dance hall, the group stopped. Anna had her hand wrapped around Teddy's arm, her eyes darting between everyone. 

    "This is why I was hesitant to come, milady," she said, turning to Rose. "We could have been arrested!"

    Teddy looked up at Anna, then started giggling. She looked towards him, slapping him on the arm.

     "It's not funny!"

     "Kinda is," Teddy replied, a foolish grin on his face as he kept giggling.

     Jimmy stared at the boy for a moment before his eyes widened in realization.

     "What were you doing while we were dancing?"

     "The Black Bottom." Teddy started giggling again. Anna's brow furrowed as she watched him.

     "Actual answer?"

     "Drinking tea. The waiter brought me more and more."

     "What was in that tea?" Jimmy asked himself. Rose gasped, bringing a hand to her mouth. Anna seemed to remember something as well, for she snapped her head towards Rose.

     "I may have asked for something special in mine. I'd forgotten about it, otherwise, I would have told him not to drink it." Jimmy's mouth opened as he looked between Rose and Teddy.

     "Are you saying he's drunk, milady?"

     "Not drunk. Perhaps tipsy?"

     "Thomas is going to kill me."

     Later, once the train had arrived at Downton, they began the trek back to the Abbey. Rose and Anna had been picked up by the chauffeur, leaving just Teddy and Jimmy for the walk.

     "When you get there, you have to act normal," Jimmy explained, trying to keep Teddy on track. "That means no giggling."

      "Why not?" Teddy looked up at Jimmy, then immediately looked away, rubbing his eyes. "Why did you put the sun right over your head?"

      "I didn't-" Jimmy shook his head, speeding up his pace a little. "We don't need Carson seeing you like this."

     Carson's name seemed to grab Teddy's attention.

     "I'll go up to my room with a headache when we get back."

     "Good." Jimmy looked down at Teddy, the corner of his mouth pinched. "And you won't tell Thomas."

      Teddy shook his head. Truthfully, he knew that if Thomas found out, then Jimmy wouldn't be the only one in trouble. In fact, Thomas might blame his son even more.

     Once they arrived back at Downton Abbey, the boy commenced the plan. He feigned a headache (although he swore he was actually getting one at this point), and told everyone that he would be upstairs in the Barrows' room.

     "Actually Theodore, about that," Mr. Carson stopped him. Turning to look at the butler, Teddy could see Jimmy nervously fiddling with a cigarette out of the corner of his eyes. Next to him, Thomas stood with a look on his face that Teddy couldn't read. He usually found himself good at reading his father, so he blamed the illegibility of this one on the alcohol.

     "Yes, Sir?" Teddy stared up at Carson. He'd never admit it, especially not to Everett or Percy, but the man still intimidated him like nothing else could.

     "Mrs. Hughes and I had an idea-" the look on Mrs. Hughes' face told Teddy that this was entirely her idea- "and we, with the help of Mr. Barrow, took care of it while you were gone."