Mothers and Monsters

kind of a trigger warning: mentions of burning at the stake and hangings. Nothing graphic.

     The flat isn't much compared to the other places I've lived, our London home or Grandpapa's abode. But it's mine, and it's home, and that's all I could ask for. 

     Lord knows that I could not spend another moment stuck with Mama and Papa. Not after what happened with that Duke. And this place already feels like home, even if I haven't gotten around to decorating it yet. But I will get to decorate it, and maybe that's part of the excitement in it. 

     Grandpapa signed off on it with me, bless his soul. I doubt they would have given it to a girl who was not even eighteen yet, but his name was more than enough to make the seller agree. And I'm glad he did because now I have my own place to myself, much closer to the restaurant I'm hoping to be hired at. The only downfall is the second bedroom, which currently sits empty. I have an odd feeling about it. Even though I bought this place to be alone, I can't help but think that there should be someone in there. Someone else to fill the quiet. 

     It's as if I'm one of Shaekspeare's weird sisters, aware of what's coming. Though don't tell Papa. I doubt that he would hesitate to burn me at the stake if he ever heard of my "inhumane abilities."

     Abi's head rested against Teddy's shoulder as they both read quietly from the journal, her finger tracing a line along the edge of the page. 

    He turned to her, checking to see if she had finished the page before he dared to turn in. She glanced back up at him, and as he went to see what his mother had to say next, she spoke. 

   "Teddy?"

    "Yes, love?" He replied, keeping an ear out for any approaching footsteps. He supposed that was the one danger of them meeting up in the Abbey, listening for any untrusted approaches.

     "Do you think that your mum would have liked me?"

    Teddy looked at his girlfriend, marking the page in the journal and placing it down. He wrapped his arms around her as he replied. 

    "Oh, my darling love, I think she would have adored you. What's not to like?"

    Abi sighed, glancing away. 

    "I just worry that she would have thought me too rich or too-"

    "No. I don't think so. I know she doesn't exactly like rich people, but she just means the stuck-up ones who can't see the world for how it really is. You're not like that. In fact, I think you and her would have a lot to talk about."

     "You do?"

    "I do. And if for some ridiculous reason, she didn't like you, that wouldn't change my mind. I love you no matter what."

     Abi smiled up at him, then rested her head back against his shoulder, closing her eyes. 

     "I love you too, Teddy."

     Teddy was due to return to work that night, and as he went upstairs to put his livery back on after all of his time not wearing it, he found himself freezing in the doorway to his room.

     When had that even happened?

    There was fabric dangling from the ceiling, similar to the pieces left over when the ladies' maids hemmed their dresses. This fabric was tied around the neck of his old teddy bear, which was suspended over his bed. 

    "Dad?" Theodore called out, wondering if Thomas would even hear him. Cautiously, he took a step forward, going to inspect the makeshift rope. 

     Now, Theodore did not have much experience with nooses, but he was willing to bet that this was one.