What If?

"Where did you get that?" Thomas asked. He had walked into his room after a long day to find his son reading a book that he didn't recognize.

    Teddy glanced up from the book, his finger on the page to mark where he'd been when his father had questioned him. 

     "Mrs. Crawley gave it to me," He replied, then nodded to the ground next to his bed, where the rest of his books sat in a stack. "Those too."

     Thomas walked around the bed to get a good look at the many publications that were now in his son's possession. He wasn't sure how Mrs. Crawley had found out about Teddy's interest, nor how she even knew who he was, but his son seemed happy with this gift.  

     They stayed silent for a moment, Thomas changing into his nightwear and Teddy, who already wore his pajamas, continuing his reading. Finally Teddy marked his page with the piece of ribbon he usually used - a gift from Abigail, of course -  and looked over at his father.

     "What do you think of the new footman?" Teddy knew his father didn't warm up to people automatically, so for him to have been talking to Jimmy earlier today must have meant something.

     "He's nice. I like him." Teddy looked at his father for a moment, trying to read his face, but Thomas turned away to tidy up his clothes. 

     "What did he do for you to say that?" 

     "He just seems like someone I could get on with, alright?" Teddy reached down to grab his many books, shaking his head. O'Brien was also someone that Thomas could apparently 'get on with', and now it seemed that she was doing everything she could to get him in trouble. 

     After putting his books away with his other medical novels, Teddy climbed under his blanket, deciding to just forget about his many inquiries for now. He'd figure it all out as time went on. 

     Teddy had gone out to spend time with his friends. Usually, once his father suggested he go out, Teddy would head straight to Percy's farm or Abigail's house, from which they would go get the rest of their friends. However, today he went to Katherine. He'd found himself thinking about her more and more, and he knew that he just had to see her.

    Teddy walked into the tailor's shop, looking around. He'd been in here before, of course. His father had had to get him new clothes before. But, he wasn't here often, so it was still interesting to see all of the fabrics and designs on display. 

    He turned at the sound of a door opening to see Harriet, who seemed rather flustered. She looked at him for a moment and, before he could even get a word out, she opened the door behind her again and called out for her sister.

     "She'll be here in a moment." Harriet said, picking up an article of clothing from farther down the counter. Upon further inspection, Teddy concluded that the white fabric must be part of Harriet's wedding dress.

     As promised, Katherine came through the door a few moments later.

     "What do you want Harriet? You know-" She paused upon seeing Teddy standing there. "Oh. Hi Teddy! How can I help you?"

     "Um, I was wondering if you, well maybe-" Teddy swallowed and tried again. "Are you free to spend some time together?" Katherine looked up at her sister and then at him again.

     "I believe so. Let me double-check though." Teddy nodded as Katherine walked back through the door into what must have been her house. He knew it was connected to the shop somehow, so it would make sense.