Reached for the Angel

Pulse: 117 bpm

     Higher than average, yet better than my last check. Hopes for more progress are in place. Breathing maintains a shallowness, yet hi-

      Theodore's pencil drew a sharp line across the page as the knob to the door turned, penetrating through the entry he had been writing, as well as the one above it. He stood from his seat on the unmade bed, crossing the room quickly to stop the door from opening more. Peeking his head between the door and the frame, he went to see who had come up. 

     It had been good for him to stop them now, for they didn't need to spread the hearsay any further than it had already gone.

    Albert looked at Teddy, tray shaking in his hands. 

    "Sorry, Teddy. I didn't hear any noise, so I thought you both might be asleep."

    Teddy's shoulders relaxed slightly. Albert clearly had no intention of going farther than he was welcome. 

     "Dad is," he confirmed. "I'd like to keep him that way. He needs his rest to fight this flu." He hated lying to Albert, but the circumstances were far too great for him to be concerned with it. For now, Thomas Barrow would have the flu to anyone who didn't know otherwise.

    "I came for you anyway," Albert replied, then held out the tray. "You didn't come down to eat, so I put this together for you." 

    Theodore looked at the tray again, trying to wrap his head around it. 

     "You don't have to take care of me."

      Thomas was the one who needed to be taken care of. Not Teddy. Teddy was fine.

      "Eat it, Theodore." Albert insisted, holding out the tray expectantly. Teddy stared at the tray, then nodded, taking it from the hall boy. 

     "Thank you."

     "You're welcome," Albert responded pointedly. "I hope Mr. Barrow gets well soon."

     "So do I, Albert. So do I."

     Teddy stayed with Thomas through the rest of the night and into the next morning. He spent his time adding more entries to his notes, checking Thomas' bandages and, when he had run out of other tasks, reading a book. He had finally been dozing off when the sound of the door opening awoke him. He was slower to move this time as he attempted to shake off his half-asleep state. 

     Aunt Phyllis slipped into the room, giving him an apologetic style. 

     "I didn't want to knock in case you were both asleep," she explained in a soft tone. "Did I wake you up?"

     "No, no," Teddy insisted, slumping down onto the edge of the bed. "You're alright."

     Phyllis smiled, sitting by Theodore's side, watching Thomas. They both stared at him for a moment, eying the rise and fall of his chest.

     "Abigail's on the telephone for you," Miss Baxter explained. "I thought you might want to go and speak with her."

     Theodore shook his head. 

     "I can't leave him. Not now."

     Aunt Phyllis placed her hand on Teddy's knee, squeezing it gently. Teddy looked at her.

     "I will stay. You go talk to her."

     After a moment's hesitation, Theodore stood, staying quiet as he walked across the room and slipped through the door. He closed it quietly behind himself, swallowing around the lump in his throat before heading downstairs.