Game, Set, Match

"You quit?"

These were the first words out of Thomas' mouth as he walked into Teddy's room, the boy having just changed into his livery. He would work out his two weeks, then step back, as typical. He wasn't a complete barbarian, no matter what Carson thought.

"Yeah. It was about bloody time."

"Teddy, you quit your job."

"Yes, I am aware."

"You've not worked here that long." Teddy raised his eyebrows.

"Dad, babies could have been conceived and born in the time that I worked here."

"You've not even been here a year."

"I don't care! I wanted to quit!"

"Why?" Thomas stood in the doorframe, crossing his arms as Teddy sighed heavily.

"Because I don't want this job, I don't like this job, and it will not benefit me in the future. Besides, Carson seemed ready to phase me out anyway."

"Phase you out?" Thomas repeated. "What do you mean?"

"Have you heard the way he's been talking to me? He's either ignoring my presence or insulting my work even though I know I did it right. And now he's gone and hired Andy as if I don't work here, no thanks to you, might I add."

"Whoa, what did I do?"

"Oh, you only encouraged the whole business! Hiring my replacement before I've even been let go. Asking him to go for someone else. Honestly, it was like you didn't even want me working here anymore."

"Now, that's not fair-"

"Isn't it?" Thomas was looking at Teddy with an expression that the boy thought only reserved for Bates. Swallowing and trying to muster up his courage again, Teddy continued.

"Look, we both knew I would quit eventually. I've just decided to do it now. Before Carson decided to fire me."

"He wasn't planning on letting you go."

"Well, Theodore has quit, so it saves me the business of figuring out how to let him go."

Sometimes Theodore wondered if Carson realized how loud his voice actually was. Even though he assumed the butler to be in his pantry, he could hear him from the stairs.

"He's never!" Mrs. Hughes' voice replied. After a moment of quiet, she spoke again. "What did you do?"

"Excuse me?"

"Well, I assume you did something for him to quit so suddenly."

"I have done nothing of the sort!" Carson replied, attempting to save his own reputation. "He simply walked in here, spoke very out of turn, and quit."

Theodore rolled his eyes. Well, if that was the story now, then so be it. It wasn't like Carson could fire him. As he was clearly planning to do, might he add.

The days until the Knighton-Barrow trial, as some other newspapers had opted to refer to it as were drawing nearer. Theodore himself did not see why the whole business was worthy of a news report, though, as someone who wrote articles himself, he could understand the need to fill space.

Andy came just as Teddy's two weeks were ending, at which point Carson approached him.

"Theodore, I was wondering if you would consider staying on just a little longer so that you could train Andy to take over."